How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 33405
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son had an opportunity to write the judge after being convicted

This answer was rated:

My son had an opportunity to write the judge after being convicted of a third (felony) DUI in order to obtain a suspension of sentence. He sent the letter more than 2 years after his conviction and now the judge says it is too late and he no longer has jurisdiction. Is there anything further he can do to have the felony removed from his open file?
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, please give advice on this question! This is for Minnehaha county in Sioux Falls, SD. I want to know if he has any options now to have the felony expunged or at least put in a closed file. He has had no further legal problems or arrests since serving work-release jail time and paying his fine. He was NOT placed on probation, but was told he could get the suspension of sentence if he had no further problems, as part of his sentencing stipulations.
Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly.
At this point the only thing that can be done is to seek a pardon from the governor or an expunction/expungement. An expungement can be filed through the court where the conviction occurred but each judge has their own requirements as to what they will and will not allow expunged. You would need to contact a local lawyer to see whether or not that particular judge would be likely to grant the petition.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask but please do so my clicking on the Reply to Expert tab.

We work for Positive Ratings, please click on one of the top three ratings or one of the Smile Faces, as this would be appreciated. We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional, and not necessarily whether you like the information that you are receiving. Please bear in mind I can’t control what the law is and whether it helps you, I can only tell you what it says, and I assume you want truthful information.

PLEASE DO NOT use the rating system to ask for more information or in an attempt to tell the website that you didn’t like the substance of the answer as it gives a NEGATIVE rating to me personally if your rating is one of the lower two.

I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Be very careful about looking at other internet sites that just post generic information without any inquiry into your facts because often those answers are dated, wrong, or wrong as applied to your facts. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 33405
Experience: Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
Dwayne B. and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you