How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27049
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been charged with fraud feloney welfare need to pay

This answer was rated:

I have been charged with fraud feloney welfare need to pay 10,000 by july 24th already have me an extesion i will don't have the total amount just 2000 will i end up in jail?
Hello Jacustomer,

What happens will depend on why you did not pay. By law, the state has to keep your payments in an amount you can afford. If you make them to the best of your ability, even if they have already extended your probation as far as it can go, they can end your probation and just enter the debt as a civil judgment. That means that the civil and not the criminal court will collect it like they would try to collect any other judgment -- put a lien on your assets, garnish your wages, etc. But you would stay out of jail.

If on the other hand you failed to pay your restitution because you were ducking your court obligation and spending your money on luxuries rather than giving it where it was due, then you can be sentenced to jail. So you want to be prepared (and have your lawyer be prepared) to show that you were paid to the best of your possible abilities.

You cannot be thrown in jail just because you are poor.
Zoey_ JD and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
do you think I should hire a lawyer will that help? All the money saved is to go for restitution repayment.