How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marsha411JD Your Own Question
Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 20396
Experience:  Licensed attorney with 29 yrs. exp. in criminal law
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Marsha411JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im on supervised probation for a federal misdemeanor (embezzlement).

This answer was rated:

I'm on supervised probation for a federal misdemeanor (embezzlement). I've been offered a temporary job in my field in another state, but my probation office says I need to tell them about 3rd party risk (and I'm afraid they're rescind the offer). I've tried to explain to my probation officer that this position is very different than what got me into trouble. I will not have access to any money or otherwise. Can my attorney or the court intervene, or do I just have to do what the PO says?

Thank you for the information and your question. First, I am not sure why the employer would not have asked about any convictions, but if they did, you of course must be truthful with them. As for your PO, then cold hard truth here is that the PO has a lot of power and they could, if they choose, actually withdraw or deny your right to cross state lines to work while on probation. So, if this PO is telling you that you must versus should inform your prospective employer of the details of your crime, or whatever it is they want you to tell them, then you will have to. They can personally contact your employer if they think there might be a problem with the type of work you will be doing.

If you think that the PO might be abusing their power, then you will need to consult with a local attorney to sit down with the PO or their supervisor and work this out.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions.

You may reply back to me using the Continue the Conversation or Reply to Expert link if you have additional questions; and if you do, I ask that you please keep in mind that I do not know what you may already know or with what you need help, unless you tell me.

Please recognize that the rating system only gives me credit for working with you when you click one of the 3 stars/faces on the right. Also, kindly rate me based solely on my assistance to you in understanding the law, and not based on whether my answer is what you were hoping to hear. I have no control over the how the law impacts your particular situation, and I trust that you can understand how it would be unfair for me to be punished by a (negative rating) ----the first 2 stars/faces----for having been honest with you about the law. Please reply to me and let me know if you are having difficulty with the rating system or even seeing it. Thank you.

Marsha411JD and 5 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you