How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal-Guru Your Own Question
Legal-Guru, Criminal Justice Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 1366
Experience:  Experienced Criminal Trial Attorney since 1998.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Legal-Guru is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My girlfriend currently has an order of protection from her

This answer was rated:

My girlfriend currently has an order of protection from her estranged husband. He is facing criminal court charges for assault, battery, menacing, and false imprisonment. The complaint involved him cornering her in the beddroom, grabbing her by the arms and causing her bruising. He has also violated his order of protection by sending her and her coworkers harrassing text messages. Once the criminal proceedings have concluded can she bring a civil suit to this individual?
Yes, she can although most people conclude that it is not worth it. That's especially true if he doesn't have a lot of money to go after. Most people want to be done with it and move on with their lives. Court is not fun for most litigants even if you end up on the winning side.
Legal-Guru and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What happens if she feels the DA is not doing all that can be done to protect her?
Often this can be remedied by having a face-to-face meeting with the assigned prosecutor. It is usually a communication issue. If that fails, she can talk to that prosecutor's supervisor about her concerns. You cannot make a prosecutor do something, but most prosecutors are sensitive to victims concerns.