How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CrimDefense Your Own Question
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27537
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
CrimDefense is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In Massachusetts if your in jail awaiting trial how do you

This answer was rated:

In Massachusetts if your in jail awaiting trial how do you ask the court for a public defender?

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

I certainly understand your concern. The public defender is appointed in open court, based upon the financial situation of the defendant. I am not sure as to why he would say he was employed when he was not but he can explain the basis for his error, the next time he is in court. He can try to contact the office of the public defender ahead of time, to see if he does qualify and if the matter could be, to appoint counsel. Moreover, if there is a bond on him, he can bail out, so he does not have to wait in jail. I am sorry to say but if the PD will not get involved until the 25th, he will just have to wait, which could delay the case.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or
need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Please remember to only
rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to click
either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the
" REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION " button. I want to make sure your experience
with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with
the help I provided. If you have nothing
further, please rate my answer with 3, 4 or 5 faces/stars, so I can get credit
for my help - I hope you found it to be Excellent! Please let me know if you
are having any problems rating my answer on the site.

CrimDefense and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Criminal Law Questions