Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I was caught shoplifting at Sams Club on March 16th 2012.

Customer Question
At that time, I was...
I was caught shoplifting at Sams Club on March 16th 2012. At that time, I was told by the Loss Prevention team/managers that they would be turning this over to the prosecutor to see if he wanted to press charges. I have been waiting for some kind of notification. After a non-ticketed traffic stop, I was informed by the police officier that there is a warrant out for my arrest. Upon investigation, I found out that I am being charged a the city court. I went online and found the case and this is what the case says:

03-23-2012 545.05 Petty Theft
Criminial Traffic deposit
Hold Receipt 435795 generated for the amount of $115.00
Folder Created
Warrant/ Capias Issued
Bell, Alex added as party on 03-23-12 at 09:30:13 AM
Misdemenor

First of all, what do I need to do to get the warrant taken care of? What does all of this mean. Does this mean, I will have a fine of $115.00? Where do I go to pay this fine? Or does this mean, that I need to pay the fine of $115.00 in order to get the court proceedings started? Of course, if the court proceedings will then be started, I will need to get a lawyer? Why wasn't I notified of any of this by mail? This just baffles me as I have been waiting to hear from them. When I previously contacted get an answer, the lawyer told me that the longer I wait, the better it is for me since maybe Sam's wouldn't press charges. So, I have been waiting to hear. And he also said that I couldn't go to a lawyer at this point as I didn't know what I was being charged with. But, they didn't get in touch with me. Thanks
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
7/1/2012
Criminal Lawyer: JB Umphrey, Lawyer replied 5 years ago
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Welcome and thank you for your question!

I am sorry to learn of your experience. Please clarify: how much merchandise was involved (what was its value)?
I am not sure as I am deaf and wasn't able to hear alot of the talk between them. I am going to say around 400.
Thank you.

Because of budget problems, many police agencies are strapped for manpower. That's probably why you were not contacted before the warrant was issued.

All you have to do is go to the court and post the bond for the warrant and it will be lifted and you'll get a court date. The facts that you've described suggest the bond may be $115. No fine has been assessed yet because your have not plead or been found guilty yet.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. It is my goal that you are satisfied. No expert can promise you an answer that is favorable to your circumstances. But I will do my very best to explain the legal principles that are related to the facts you’ve described so that you can better understand the “why” of things.

What are your options now?

If you wish to continue this conversation, click on the Continue Conversation link.
If you are satisfied that I have answered your question, then please rate the answer with a four or a five so that I receive credit for assisting you. Positive ratings are the only way I receive credit for assisting you today.

IF you feel the need to click either
"Helped a little" or "I expected more," then do not rate me (not yet, anyway!). Instead, reply to me using the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button. Specify what additional information you need and I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Thanks,
~~ J.B.
Hi there. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going.

Did I answer all of your questions or do you seek additional information?

Please let me know if there is anything else I can provide to give you excellent service!"

Otherwise, please be sure to provide a rating for the information I provided so that I receive credit for assisting you.

IF YOU DO NOT PROVIDE A RATING, or if your rating is negative, then I will not be compensated.

If you experience any problems in providing a positive rating, please reply and let me know.

Thank you!

~~ JB
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer