Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

This is a 2007 bill: 1. N.J.S.2C:1-6 is amended to read as

This is a 2007 bill: 1...
This is a 2007 bill:
1. N.J.S.2C:1-6 is amended to read as follows
2C:1-6. Time Limitations. a. (1) A prosecution for any offense set forth in N.J.S.2C:11-3, N.J.S.2C:11-4, N.J.S.2C:14-2 or sections 1 through 5 of P.L.2002, c.26 (C.2C:38-1 through C.2C:38-5) may be commenced at any time.

This is a 2006 bill:
1. N.J.S.2C:I-6 is amended to read as follows:
2C: 1-6. Time Limitations. a. A prosecution for any offense set forth in N.J.S.2C:II-3 £OJ 2[or11.2 [or] N.J.S.2C:11-4 l[or N.J.S.2C:14-2r 2 or N.J.S.2C:14-22 may be commenced at any time.

The difference between the 2006 and the 2007 bills is an Arabic numeral "(1)" after the a. Do you think the state of limitations were still in effect due to change since:

1:2-1. Enacting clause of laws; numbering sections; engrossing of bills
All laws of this State shall begin in the following style: "Be it enacted by the Senate and General Assembly of the State of New Jersey" , after which shall follow the sections numbered consecutively 1, 2, 3, et cetera, with the Arabic numerals, each number being followed immediately by the significant words of the section, without the prefix of the word "that" or the words "and be it enacted" , or any other formal prefix whatsoever. The Legislature shall see that all bills are engrossed in conformity to the provisions of this section and R.S. 1:2-2.

Amended by L.1981, c. 448, s. 1, eff. Jan. 12, 1982.

1:2-2. Chapters designated by Arabic numerals
Arabic numerals shall be used to designate the numbers of the chapters of the several laws in the order in which they are enacted.
7/1/2012
I am afraid that the change of a law to conform to the statutory formatting requirement does not change the actual meaning or validity of the law itself, it would be considered a "ministerial" or "administrative" error that has no effect on the actual meaning of the law. A check of the case law in NJ finds not one case that addresses invalidating the entire statute or provision in a statute for this type of formatting error.

PLEASE USE THE REPLY BUTTON IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON EVEN IF THE FEEDBACK SAYS NEED MORE OR HELPED A LITTLE, THIS IS NOT HOW TO GET MORE INFORMATION.

PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “GREAT” SERVICE

I hope you found my answer helpful, but please understand that if you did not get all of the information you may have wanted to use the REPLY button and we are happy to continue working with you to get you all of the information you require.

Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I was able to explain your concern to your satisfaction.

Please click the top THREE POSITIVE FACES so that we can get good feedback for working with you.

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

I do not think it is just an "administrative" error would you please reread 1:2-1 and 1:2-2 and answer the question accordingly. The new change in the 2007 bill which was the Arabic numeral enacts that law.

What do you think?
I am sorry, but a search of the case law reveals not one case were a law or part of a law was declared invalid because of a format error and changing the number does not enact the law, the law was enacted in 2006. 1:2-2 says it designates "the order in which they were enacted."
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer