Criminal Law

19 years ago in the State of Maine, at 17 years old I was found…

19 years ago in the...
19 years ago in the State of Maine, at 17 years old I was found guilty as a juvenile, for a very bad decision, for a non-violent breaking and entry charge. I was put on probation for 1 year with 30 days suspended and 6 months into it, 18 years old at the time; I broke probation,... Read full answer
19 years ago in the State of Maine, at 17 years old I was found guilty as a juvenile, for a very bad decision, for a non-violent breaking and entry charge. I was put on probation for 1 year with 30 days suspended and 6 months into it, 18 years old at the time; I broke probation, another very bad decision, and spent 15 days in the county jail. From what I understand Maine does not expunge records. I have been serving in the Military for the last 18 years using and controlling weapons. My question is how do I regain my Gun Rights in Maine and how will that apply if I am living in any other state , i.e. PA or NJ, trying to purchase a gun? How do I answer a Federal, NJ or PA state form asking if I was ever a juvenile delinquent or convicted of a felony? If my records were sealed in Maine have my 2nd Amendment rights to purchase, own and posses been restored?
6/29/2012
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

Q: how do I regain my Gun Rights in Maine and how will that apply if I am living in any other state , i.e. PA or NJ, trying to purchase a gun?
A: You'll need to request a pardon from Maine's governor. Unfortunately, sealing records won't help since the issue is having civil rights restored, not just hiding your record. A pardon will restore your rights. You can apply for a pardon by using the application found HERE.

Q: How do I answer a Federal, NJ or PA state form asking if I was ever a juvenile delinquent or convicted of a felony?
A: If you were convicted, then you'd have to answer affirmatively.

Q: If my records were sealed in Maine have my 2nd Amendment rights to purchase, own and posses been restored?
A: Unfortunately, a sealed record would not restore your 2nd Amendment rights, as stated above, since a sealed record is merely a hidden record, and that is not the same as a restoration of civil rights.

If you would like any additional information or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask!

Also, I strive to be as helpful as possible so that you are satisfied and will give me positive feedback. Accordingly, please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to click either "I expected more" or "Helped a little" (which are considered negative ratings on this website), please stop and instead of rating me, reply via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue that you have. I will be happy to continue our discussion and do everything that I can to provide you with the service that you seek.

Thank you.
I am Sorry i forgot to add this link to my question.

is this law saying that I do have my rights restored under

1-A. Limited prohibition for nonviolent juvenile offenses.

and if so does this restore it federally since its up to the states to restore civil rights?
Hi again.

That law only speaks about guns, but not civil rights in general. Can you vote, hold public office, and serve on a jury? If so, and if your crime is otherwise covered by 1-A, then I would argue that you can have a gun under Federal law. But if any of your civil rights (i.e., voting, holding office, jury duty) are restricted, then Federal law would prevent gun ownership even if Maine law allows it under 1-A.

Let me know if you need further clarification, and please remember to rate me positively. Thank you.
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I need to know if I am able to purchase firearms, I had a
I need to know if I am able to purchase firearms, I had a juvenile criminal record in michigan but was expunged when I was 18 in 1998. Still hadn't paid all fines until around 2010. … read more
James Daloisio
James Daloisio
Attorney,
I am from Kansas. In my lifetime, I have been convicted of
Hello,I am from Kansas. In my lifetime, I have been convicted of some felony criminal cases. The cases include Criminal Destruction of Property and some Possession of Drugs/With intent convictions. No… read more
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
Had a felony charge 42 years ago. Can I legally own a gun?
Hi! I'm curious. I had a felony charge on me back in 1974 when I was 17 in North Carolina. No jail time just 24 months probation and that was the end of it. I live in Texas and would like to know if I… read more
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
Stop searching for answers—
Had a federal felony conviction 13 years ago. Any chance of
Had a federal felony conviction 13 years ago. Any chance of getting gun rights reinstated? Conviction was for filing false tax returns and illegal gambling.… read more
Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor
Can I get my 20 yr.old felony expunged from my record so my
Can I get my 20 yr.old felony expunged from my record so my wife and I can purchase a hand gun and cpl license for home defense. felony was for auto ins.fraud. Served no time, received 4 yrs probation… read more
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
EO Legal Adviser and Assistant Professor,
Juris Doctor, Cum Laude
I'm Brandon. I had a corruption of minors back in 2005.
Hi I'm Brandon. I had a corruption of minors back in 2005. Can I get my gun rights restored without a pardon?… read more
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I have a simple assault charge (adjudicated felony) on my record
I have a simple assault charge (adjudicated felony) on my record from when I was 16 years old, I was never told any of my rights have been taken from me. I am 19 now and want a firearm for home defens… read more
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
I am a noviolet class felon. can i get my gun rights back?
I am a noviolet class b felon. can i get my gun rights back? I have been told that is a new law that says that i can. but no a carry permit… read more
Litigation Attorney,
Over 22 years ago I was convicted of a felony for possession
Over 22 years ago I was convicted of a felony for possession of marijuana with intent to sell. I have had nothing else since then and want to know if I can now purchase and possess a firearm?… read more
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
My 20 year old son would like to join the Air Force; however,
My 20 year old son would like to join the Air Force; however, he has a MIC conviction and some minor criminal activity that was not procecuted but is showing on his minor record. Again, this took plac… read more
Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor
I have felony in new jersey over 15 years ago. That is my one
I have felony in new jersey over 15 years ago. That is my one and only crime. Never did any time just 4 yrs probation. I have lived in Florida for 15 yrs. I would like to restore my rights fully and b… read more
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
I am an adult that has had a past record that included juvenile
I am an adult that has had a past record that included juvenile felony adjudications. All of my charges were derived from vandalism on school property, inside the school during a holiday. my record ha… read more
Attorney,
Stop searching for answers—
At 14 yrs of age pleaded guilty to a felony 3rd degree as a
At 14 yrs of age pleaded guilty to a felony 3rd degree as a Juvenile Delinquent. 2 years probation. Never had a brush with the law since that. I am 41 now and would like to posses a fire arm in upstat… read more
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
My daughter will be 18 years old soon and has had several misdemeaners
My daughter will be 18 years old soon and has had several misdemeaners for things like stealing and running away and one felony 5 for striking a staff member when she was in a residential treatment ce… read more
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
sealing of my juvenile record will allow me to apply for Firearms
sealing of my juvenile record will allow me to apply for Firearms license however, if the licensing authority has already denied an application based on convictions prior to sealing of records can the… read more
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
I would like to seal or expunge records from a juvenile case
I would like to seal or expunge records from a juvenile case in Hollidaysburg where records were expected to be expunged after 2 years and were not. Looks like a felony 1 for B&E with some bad friends… read more
Hammer O\u0027Justice
Hammer O\u0027Justice
Attorney,
I live inMA, have convictions ( felony/misdemeanor) over 23
I live inMA, have convictions (?felony/misdemeanor) over 23 years old, can i get a license to cary firearms for target shooting only, or is law concrete that i can never get a license because i have c… read more
Lawyer,
is it possible to get my gun rights back if i was convicted
is it possible to get my gun rights back if i was convicted of a felony but have served my time is there any legal way to at least own a hunting rifle… read more
Lawyer,