Criminal Law

I have read about a plea that may be made by the person arrested…

I have read about a...
I have read about a plea that may be made by the person arrested for a crime that states "I am not saying I am guilty, but will accept the plea bargin offered" If you are aware of this please let me know what it is called.... Read full answer
I have read about a plea that may be made by the person arrested for a crime that states "I am not saying I am guilty, but will accept the plea bargin offered" If you are aware of this please let me know what it is called.
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/28/2012
dkennedy
dkennedy, Criminal Defense Lawyer

dkennedy :

Customer:

hi

dkennedy :

Yes, there is such a plea. Except you have to say you are guilty, but not admit to any elements of the crime. You plead guilty because you think that if you went to trial, they would have enough evidence to convict you, and you would rather take the plea deal that go for a trial and possibly a worse sentence. This is called an "Alford Plea."

dkennedy :

In other words, you plead guilty but don't say you actually did anything.

Customer:

The one I read aabout you did not have to admit guilt.

dkennedy :

If you do not admit guilt, you have to go to trial. Where did you read that?

dkennedy :

A lot of people think it's not a guilty plea, but it really is. Normally, in a guilty plea though, you have to outloud, tell what you did. You don't have to do that in an Alford Plea.

Customer:

I am only ointerested in not admitting guilt. The person is innocent, but could get yrs in prison if convicted. It is a he said she said situation.

dkennedy :

If this person is taking the plea bargain, what is the issue?

Customer:

Sexual molestation. He put his arm aroaund her and on her leg to comfort her as she bawled. The 2 months later she said he did exactly the same thing but said it was sexual molestation.

dkennedy :

But if he pleads not guilty, he has to go to trial. You can't be not guilty and take a plea bargain. Does your friend want to take the plea bargain?

Customer:

They have offered the lowest molestation and 30 days in jail, with a number of months on the molestation list.

Customer:

He is afraid to go to court and get a worse sentence as many courts lean towards the victim - 14 yr old girl

dkennedy :

Then, he should take the Alford plea and get the 30 days. Why would he want to maintain not guilty and go to trial? He should say he is not admitting he did anything, but that they have enough evidence to convict so he is taking the deal.

Customer:

thank you - I will talk to my nephew about it. He has never mentioned the alford plea. This is so devastating to him and his family.

Customer:

are you really typng?

dkennedy :

Yes,

Customer:

ok

dkennedy :

A lot of people take this plea because they don't want to take a chance on a trial and get a really long sentence. This way he doesn't have to admit to any details, which he probably cannot do.

Customer:

thanks it may help

dkennedy
dkennedy, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I ENTERED A GUILTY OPEN PLEA WITHOUT A PLEA BARGIN AND WAS
I ENTERED A GUILTY OPEN PLEA WITHOUT A PLEA BARGIN AND WAS GIVEN 5YRS PROBATION FIRST FELONY SERVED 24 DAYS JAIL NOW I HAVE TO PLEA TO 2 MISAMEANERS TOMORROW STILL NO PLEA BARGIN I REQUESTED MY ATTORN… read more
Is a misdemeanor deferred sentence considered a conviction
Is a misdemeanor deferred sentence considered a conviction when answering that on a professional license?… read more
Legal-Kal
Legal-Kal
Attorney,
My 18 year old son was arrested and charged with a
My 18 year old son was arrested and charged with a misdemeanor 4060 BP for a prescription bottle of Naproxen(NSAID) his girl friend left in his car, he has no previous arrest record. What penalties ma… read more
Lawyer,
Stop searching for answers—
My son has been falsely accused of abuse of a minor.
My son has been falsely accused of sexual abuse of a minor. It has been 2 years in court and we are being told we need to make a decision to accept a plea bargin admiting guilt, when he didn't do it. … read more
S. Huband, Esq.
S. Huband, Esq.
Attorney,
what is the proper order or protocal of of the following: ARRESTED
what is the proper order or protocal of of the following: ARRESTED GRAND JURY = Indictment ARRAIGNMENTS… read more
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
after motion to withdraw a guilty plea was granted, can the
after motion to withdraw a guilty plea was granted, can the judge come back and inforce it when you do not have legal repensentation? 1) had obtain a lawyer 2) lawyer pressured to take plea bargin aga… read more
Counselor at Law,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
does anyone know what the possible minimal jail term would
does anyone know what the possible minimal jail term would be for the following charges in the state of NJ. 1. 1st degree federal felony kidnapping charge with aggrevated sexual assult Also any idea w… read more
David Weilbacher, Esq.
David Weilbacher, Esq.
When a person is convicted of multiple felonies and is offered
When a person is convicted of multiple felonies and is offered a plea bargain and told by their public defender that they have to accept the plea bargain as is for the reduced sentence, does the convi… read more
Attorney,
Hello i got arrested for stalking[dating violence] she states
Hello i got arrested for stalking[dating violence] she states that i treat her , she said that i said i was going to kill her,… read more
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
Can a plaintiff change their mind before being sentenced after
Can a plaintiff change their mind before being sentenced after a plea bargin has been made… read more
Lawyer,
In the state of New York, there was someone indicted for 125.25
In the state of New York, there was someone indicted for 125.25 (intentional) and the associated trailer charges that may go along with this base charge. The defendant was 21 at the time of arrest, no… read more
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
Officers come to house, take pics etc. Date is Nov.20,2009
Officers come to house, take pics etc. Date is Nov.20,2009 ---Dec. 31, 2009 came to house arrested her, cop stated the charges were Felonly assault on a minor. Paid bond of 2600.00 to bond out, then s… read more
KimberlyLaw
KimberlyLaw
Principal Attorney,
Stop searching for answers—
I was recently arrested for a Hawaii Law, Liquor Prohibition
I was recently arrested for a Hawaii Law, Liquor Prohibition in Public (Code 14-01). I was sitting at a county park, eating dinner with my friend, watching sunset, and had taken 1 sip of a beer. I was… read more
Hammer O\u0027Justice
Hammer O\u0027Justice
Attorney,
my fiance was arrested while on parole/probation, he got of
my fiance was arrested while on parole/probation, he got of it on 1/6/09. He was took a plea bargin for the new arrest on 2/26/09 after his parole/probation was over. Pennsylvania never violated him. … read more
Lawyer,
What can we do about possibly an appeal and should we bother
What can we do about possibly an appeal and should we bother? Also what is the deal about ID theft being a crime against a person and a newly conviceted person can't get 1/2 sentence reduced in WA sta… read more
Hammer O\u0027Justice
Hammer O\u0027Justice
Attorney,
Hello, I was recently falsely charged with a crime that
Hello, I was recently falsely charged with a crime that I did not commit. The person is claiming I stole something from him where I have proof I didn't. He falsey lied because we had a fight about som… read more
Jamie L. Harmon
Jamie L. Harmon
Law Firm Owner,
Is there any chance of having a conviction thrown out 5 years
Is there any chance of having a conviction thrown out 5 years after the sentence was served? My son was arrested for DUI, did not take a breath test, his lawyer advised him to take the plea bargin, la… read more
Attorney & Counselor at Law
Attorney & Counselor at Law
Managing Partner,
My husband is being offered a plea bargin for voluntary man.
My husband is being offered a plea bargin for voluntary manslaughter because they have my husband recorded stating "he got what he deserves" in the conversation. Should my husband take the plea bargin… read more
jamest
jamest