Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I gave a builder $7500 for a new roof. He did not show up

I gave a builder $7500...
I gave a builder $7500 for a new roof. He did not show up and is not returning phone calls. I subsequently found out that he is on parole, living in an apartment in AC, where he had previously done some work and still had keys w/o the owner's permission. I filed a criminal complaint with the Pennsauken Police Department. Is there anything else I can do before the detective gets back to me next week?
6/15/2012
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Welcome and thank you for your question!

I am sorry to learn of your experience. Because the amount is more than $3,000, you are not in a position to sue him in small claims court in NJ http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/prose/10290_small_claims.pdf

You could, if you wanted to, hire a local attorney to sue him in the Law Division of the Superior Court (there are not do-it-yourself forms for that and the process takes a lot longer). However, that would not resolve anything before the detective gets back.

Or, you can wait for the detective and pursue criminal charges.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. It is my goal that you are satisfied. No expert can promise you an answer that is favorable to your circumstances. But I will do my very best to explain the legal principles that are related to the facts you’ve described so that you can better understand the “why” of things.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can provide to give you excellent service!"
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer