How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JB Umphrey Your Own Question
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 20233
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
JB Umphrey is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds


Customer Question

If a person other than the custodial legal guardian gives permission for a 15 year old to be mirandized then questioned by a police offer, without informing said guardian, have rights been violated?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 5 years ago.
Hi and thank you for using JustAnswer!

The answer to your question is "no" rights have been violated. This is because the police officer does not need the permission of any parent, guardian, or adult to question a 15-year-old.

The police officer can question the 15-year-old no matter what.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. It is my goal that you are satisfied. No expert can promise you an answer that is favorable to your circumstances. But I will do my very best to explain the legal principles that are related to the facts you’ve described so that you can better understand the “why” of things.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can provide to give you excellent service!"
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 5 years ago.
Your question has re-appeared on my question list.

Is there anything else that I may assist you with?
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 5 years ago.
Hi [Customer Name],

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did I answer all of your questions?

Let me know,
[Expert Name]