How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stevexo Your Own Question
Stevexo, Criminal Attorney
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 1000
Experience:  Thirty years Criminal Defense
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Stevexo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Mother who is 69 (XXXXX XXXXX) was assaulted by my ex-husband

Resolved Question:

My Mother who is 69 (XXXXX XXXXX) was assaulted by my ex-husband on August 31st 2009 when my ex-husband tried to remove the children from me against their will. The ambulance was called and treated my Mother for shock but she has since suffered severe and deteriorating back complications. The police were also called to my parents house but my exhusband had disappeared by then.

He has had a history of violence towards me - but that has been more than 3 years ago, although at the time of him assaulting my Mother I injured my leg to jump over a fence to try and protect her from him.

I realise that the 3 years are almost up for filing a civil case against him. However, I experienced extensive phsycial abuse by him over the years and never completed the process in order that he was charged.

My Mother would like to know whether it is still possible to take a civil action out against him.

Yours sincerely

Sarah Kline
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Stevexo replied 5 years ago.
Steven T Greene Esq. Qualified as an expert in Criminal Law,30 years of Criminal Defense trial work.Usually in the UK the statute of limitations is three years or when first discovered. You need to check with local counsel to confirm ,as if incorrect you would be forever barred in bringing a complaint. If you are still within the three years file asap. There is no problem if you are towards the end of the three years, filing on the last day will have the same effect as a complaint filed on the first day. Remember, if the statute of limitations runs you can file nothing. Sincerely, Steve
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, I knew it was within the 3 years. I have found that some of the solicitors who work on a no win no fee basis are keen to know about his assets. I know he works for a big 5 company so assume he has some kind of insureance - but for my Mother she wants him to acknowledge, at least in his case, his violence and what he did to the children's grandmother was wrong. She obviously has costs regarding her back treatment - these could be complicated as it appears that the injury has been mental and physical. Can you recommend some solicitors who will deal with this?
Expert:  Stevexo replied 5 years ago.

Sorry for the late response, but I needed some sleep! I do not know any solicitors in the UK. I always suggest you call the licensing board as they usually have a free referral service. You need to tell them the specific type of case it is and what jurisdiction you are in. That should be a good start for you. Sincerely, Steve

Stevexo and 5 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you