How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttorneyTom Your Own Question
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 9176
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
AttorneyTom is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got into an accident whereby the other person was at fault

Customer Question

I got into an accident whereby the other person was at fault and his insurance company gave me $1400 to fix the damages to my car. Fast forward about a year later and the insurance company I had at the time is now liquidating everything and going bankrupt and they sent me a form to fill out in case I was entitled to any monies, so I submitted a claim for that same accident thinking gee, I can make another $1400. This was not honest of course, and I'm willing to call them and tell them that and just cancel it, but is this considered illegal or putting me at risk in some way to have done that?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the opportunity to answer your question. I am sending this answer to you only a few minutes after you submitted your question.
Yes. By filing a false claim, that could implicate you in insurance fraud and you could potentially be charged with a crime. You may wish to have your attorney review the matter and assist you with withdrawing the claim. If submitted out of confusion or in error, that would not generally be criminal. Therefore, if you wish to withdraw the claim, you definitely want to involve your attorney so that he can help you to avoid making any damaging admissions that might be used against you for criminal charges.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you. Then this was a mistake on my part. I don't have an attorney. I'll just withdraw the claim.

I have a question regarding another matter. I paid for a 1 month just answer membership. So may I ask you a question about this matter?
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your message. I would still recommend letting your attorney handle the matter to ensure that you don't make any potentially damaging statements or admissions, but it's up to you as to how you want to handle that. With a situation like that, it's better to be cautious.

I'm not able to review your account details, so I can't really tell you anything specific about your count or your subscription plan. Unfortunately, I just don't have access to that information. However, for that, you could email [email protected]

If you have more follow-ups related to this particular question, you're welcome to ask them here using Reply. If you have separate questions, it's generally necessary to ask them separately but you can request me by asking it here: or by starting it with "FOR T-USA." It sounds complicated, but I hope that makes sense.

Please remember to rate my answer if you're satisfied. Just let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well, like I said, I don't have an attorney - I already contacted the office that handles the claims and will just ask to withdraw my claim.

I'll try the link you gave me thanks!
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 5 years ago.
My pleasure! I'm glad that I could provide some valuable information.

Should you decide that you want to retain an attorney, you may find an attorney who will handle the matter very reasonably for you (a few hundred dollars). Of course, that decision is entirely yours but, if you wish to look for one in your area, you could find one on or

I look forward to any future question you may want to ask of me. Thank you.