RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

Are stun guns (tasers) legal to own, carry, have in a car in

Are stun guns (tasers) legal to own, carry, have in a car in PA.?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I appreciate your patience while I researched and typed out your answer.

They are legal to own so long as a) the person is not a convicted felon (they can still own a firearm) and they are not used for an unlawful purpose. They can be used in the defense of person or property. Here is the specific statute:

§ 908.1. Use or possession of electric or electronic incapacitation device.

(a) Offense defined.--Except as set forth in subsection (b), a person commits an offense if the person does any of the following: (1) Uses an electric or electronic incapacitation device on another person for an unlawful purpose. (2) Possesses, with intent to violate paragraph (1), an electric or electronic incapacitation device.

(b) Self defense.--A person may possess and use an electric or electronic incapacitation device in the exercise of reasonable force in defense of the person or the person's property pursuant to Chapter 5 (relating to general principles of justification) if the electric or electronic incapacitation device is labeled with or accompanied by clearly written instructions as to its use and the damages involved in its use.

(c) Prohibited possession.--No person prohibited from possessing a firearm pursuant to section 6105 (relating to persons not to possess, use, manufacture, control, sell or transfer firearms) may possess or use an electric or electronic incapacitation device.

(d) Grading.--An offense under subsection (a) shall constitute a felony of the second degree if the actor acted with the intent to commit a felony. Otherwise any offense under this section is graded as a misdemeanor of the first degree.

(e) Exceptions.--Nothing in this section shall prohibit the possession or use by, or the sale or furnishing of any electric or electronic incapacitation device to, a law enforcement agency, peace officer, employee of a correctional institution, county jail or prison or detention center, the National Guard or reserves or a member of the National Guard or reserves for use in their official duties.

(f) Definition.--As used in this section, the term "electric or electronic incapacitation device" means a portable device which is designed or intended by the manufacturer to be used, offensively or defensively, to temporarily immobilize or incapacitate persons by means of electric pulse or current, including devices operating by means of carbon dioxide propellant. The term does not include cattle prods, electric fences or other electric devices when used in agricultural, animal husbandry or food production activities.

If you need clarification or further information, you can always REPLY to my question before rating my service today.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If someone is on my property, with intent to harm, can I use the stun gun?
You can use a stun gun for self defense purposes to defend yourself or others but the stun gun has to be labeled with or include instructions as to its use and damages. And the self defense has to be reasonable as well, meaning if a person slaps you, you can't use it (it would be excessive force), but if they have you on the ground and are smashing your head into the concrete, for example, you could use it.