How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marsha411JD Your Own Question
Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 20398
Experience:  Licensed attorney with 29 yrs. exp. in criminal law
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Marsha411JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I pled guilty tax eavison in 1993. My judgment was 3 uears

Resolved Question:

I pled guilty tax eavison in 1993. My judgment was 3 uears probation and 180 days in a hafway house. because of this my voting holding office and bearing Arms were taking away. Iwant them restored. what is the cost for this litigation.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 5 years ago.

Just to be clear was this a Federal or State tax evasion conviction and was it a felony?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 5 years ago.
Hello again,

Thank you for that information although you did not answer second part of my question I am going to assume this was indeed a felony conviction. In that case, your right to vote would have been automatically restored at the completion of your sentence. The other civil rights can only be restored with a positive recommendation to the Governor and his signature from the Board of Pardons and Paroles.

However, under Federal law a convicted felon is not eligible, under any circumstances to purchase, possess, etc. a firearm. So, even though State law may allow for the restoration of civil rights. Federal law overrides any State law that conflicts. You can see a discussion of the Federal law prohibiting firearm possession by going to:

As for the other civil rights, you can see a discussion of the law at:

You will want to hire a local criminal law attorney who has a practice that includes post-conviction issues, such as restoration of civil rights, so that they can assist you in your petition to the Board.
Marsha411JD and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you