Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

On December of 2010, my wife hit me in my arm with a broom

On December of 2010...
On December of 2010, my wife hit me in my arm with a broom leaving several bruises.
My supervisor at work saw them, and told me to press charges on my wife. I did not press any charges because she was not a US citizen, and she would have ended in jail and maybe deported to her country, and we have a five years old. The bruises went a away, but days later I started having pain in my arm. I still have the pain today, and I cannot even carry my laptop with that arm. I filed for divorce this last January, and I do not know if I can sue her or press any charge againts her now that she is a US citizen. It is not fair that she could walk away like that. Can I do something?
6/1/2012
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

There is likely still time to file criminal charges. Criminal battery is generally a first degree misdemeanor (see Section 784.03(2)(b)), and the statute of limitations for a first degree misdemeanor is two years (see Section 775.15(2)(c)). Accordingly, you can file a police report and ask that your wife be prosecuted.

You can also sue your wife for civil battery, which has a four year statute of limitations (see Section 95.11(3)(o)).
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney