Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I have a criminal record for embezzlement from over 30 years

Customer Question
ago. No jail time...
I have a criminal record for embezzlement from over 30 years ago. No jail time. I turned myself in, and got probation. Today I live at the other end of the state. Should I hire a lawyer where I live now, or one where the crime took place?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
6/1/2012
Criminal Lawyer: Meigs, Criminal Defense Lawyer replied 5 years ago
Meigs
Meigs, Criminal Defense Lawyer

meigs004 :

Hello, how are you this evening?

meigs004 :

I have read your facts but if you got probation and served it why are considering hiring an attorney?

Customer:

Getting my criminal record cleared.

meigs004 :

Oh, I see, and you are in North Carolina?

Customer:

Yes

meigs004 :

Do you mind if I do a minute of research on expungement laws and sealing laws in North Carolina?

meigs004 :

Was it a felony embezzlement charge I assume.

Customer:

Yes.

Customer:

I've read the basics, and I qualify for having it removed.

meigs004 :

Great. Expungement or sealing is an issue that is best filed in the county where the conviction and prosecution was held. If you were sentenced in a portion of the state you no longer live in, it is best for you to hire an attorney in that area to file the required papers for expungement and/or sealing of your records.

meigs004 :

If expungement is successful your record will be cleared, but you may need to check to see if it is off the federal databases.

Customer:

What if it isn't taken off the Federal database?

Customer:

Won't it still show up under my SS number?

meigs004 :

The government will always be able to access it, and I am not sure if there is a way to remove it on the federal level.

meigs004 :

However, local searches and databases will not turn up a hit on that charge.

Customer:

Is it worth doing then? In light of the current economic environment, I would like to be able to carry a gun with me to protect my family.

meigs004 :

Yes it is always beneficial, if you qualify, to have it removed. For the reason you stated, as well as future employment opportunities, loans, etc.

Customer:

How about the firearms?

meigs004 :

If the record is expunged, and you have no felonies on your record you should be able to purchase firearms.

Customer:

My crime was not violent, so I was hoping that would be the case.

meigs004 :

Right.

meigs004 :

It would be best to consult an attorney to prepare the paperwork to file for you as this may expedite the process.

meigs004 :

Additionally, he/she will be able to advise you on any additional steps you need to take.

Customer:

Another question: My best friend is the sheriff here in our country, and I understand the county on the other side of the state will be contacting the county I live in now to verify I haven't done any other crimes. Will he see that, or do you know. He has no idea, and he's been my best friend since he was a deputy and a neighbor..

Customer:

... for 20 years.

meigs004 :

Will he see the embezzlement charge?

Customer:

Yes, that is what I want to know. Or, does an entirely different department handle that?

Customer:

He has over 400 people on his staff.

meigs004 :

I imagine someone else on his staff would handle that.

Customer:

I don't want to lose my best friend.

Customer:

That scares me the most.

Customer:

Any suggested attorney to handle this in Charlotte, NC?

meigs004 :

But I can not make that assurance. It is likely that they will be contacting the sheriff's office in the county in which you reside, but I highly doubt with a staff like that, that he personally would be handling it.

meigs004 :

I can not recommend attorney's pursuant to the terms of service of JustAnswer, but I am sure there are plenty of competent expugement attorney's who can handle the matter for you.

meigs004 :

Also, consider experienced criminal defense attorneys', they often know the process very well.

Customer:

What type of attorney do I contact? Criminal?

Customer:

I see you just answered that for me. Thanks.

meigs004 :

Yes, criminal defense attorneys, and/or expungement attorney's who specialize in expungements or sealing.

meigs004 :

You are welcome

meigs004 :

Do you have any other questions?

Customer:

No, I think I'm good.

meigs004 :

If not, PLEASE click the accept button, and do not forget to leave feedback about your experience.

meigs004 :

Also, bonuses are appreciated and certainly not required.

Customer:

OK, I will now. Thanks.

Meigs
Meigs, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Meigs
Meigs
Meigs, Criminal Defense Lawyer