How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 118689
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My only son/child, wife & I bought a home in TN. Due to my

This answer was rated:

My only son/child, wife & I bought a home in TN. Due to my health my son has been taking care of me for the last 4 years. My son is 32 and he has been station overseas in Iraq & Afghanistan for the last 10 years. My wife has been taking care of all his things for 14 years now since he joined the Marine Corps. Due to my health I have not been able to work for the last 9 years other than a non labor job managing a mobile home part for about a year & half. My wife also managed the part with me. My son took both of us as dependents about 6 years ago so I could get help on the military base hospital. We have always been extremely close. The home we bought back in 2008, he had us put on the deed so we would always have a place to live especially if something happen to him overseas. He was the one that insisted on all this and promised us we would not have to move anymore. My wife & I are both 60 years old and the only income we have is $325.00 a month coming in. My wife had POA for the whole 14 years and has taking care of purchasing his truck, house, taxes each year, etc. I on the other hand have been taking care of the home maintenance, upgrades, remodels and major repairs.
With this we all had extreme trust for one another as well as a lot of LOVE; he means the world to us. Due to the fact that he is our only son we turned over everything we own to him including $20,000 of stocks and put a lot of money into the home for improvements, money we got from selling our home in PSL, FL ($135,000) not all went into this home but part of it did. We did this because we felt we owed him for all his help over the years and when we pass on it will all be his anyway. We all had charge cards with all 3 names on them, some we were primary owners and some were his. My son has been paying for my doctor visits and my meds we pay for with our small income.
Our son has since meet this girl on the internet about a year ago and has only been eye to eye with her for 3 WEEKS and then decided to marry her (they got married this past Friday). About 6 months ago he started getting very nasty towards us and when he came home this time last month told us to get out. My wife and I are both 60 years of age and we have nothing left as we gave him everything due to his promises and verbal agreements. He came home and told us that he had dreams of coming home and blowing both our brains out. I don't know where this is coming from and everyone who knows him says that's not him the way he is acting, even his old friends from high school say that. He has been using language with us that he never used before. His mother and he were fighting over his behavior and he got in her face like a drill sergeant and started with the nasty language nose to nose almost and while she was crying her eyes out she slapped him across the face. He then called the sheriff out here to have her arrested but they took him away for verbal abuse or something like that because she felt threaten. He never did from day one invite us to his wedding and his new wife told him that we never loved him that we are e just using him. He was advised (not ordered) to stay away from us until the court date of May 24th. We both (my wife & I) have been subpoenaed to the hearing. Since his is not here now till the 24th he has had the electric cut off, the water turned off, along with the phones & cable. We have had to have them all put in our name to get them turned back on. The only thing I think he may pay for is the mortgage as it is a VA loan. But even that we are not sure. He has a VERY beautiful home here with 9 acres and 4,000 sq. ft. house worth about $300,000. I love this place and I have a lot into it both in dollars and labor. My wife and I cry every day and pray that he will come back to us but as of right now he blames us for him getting arrested and will not email or talk with us in any way. If it wasn't for our church and friends I don't know where we would be right now mentally. It is the State vs. Donald D Adams, Jr. any I know he has a lawyer but we have nothing and don't have a clue on what to except at the hearing. We need help to understand what to expect and weather we can hold him to his verbal agreement with us. We want to make peace with him and we just don't understand how after being so close for so long he can just turn his back on us with so much hatred. Please help us if you can.
God Bless,
Don & Penny Adams
It is so sad to hear these types of stories and I am sorry to hear this is happening to you. Unfortunately, this is going to take some drastic measures on your part, regardless of the love and closeness you feel to your son. If your names are XXXXX XXXXX deed together with his name, he cannot force you to leave the premises, first of all. Second, you will need to go to court and get a restraining order against him and his wife based on the fear from the verbal abuse and intimidation, which is what the police arrested him for. Third, you need to file a complaint against him with Adult Protective Services because this conduct by him can be considered abuse of the elderly and they will intervene and they have the power to force him into a therapy program because it sounds like he is experiencing Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and will never seek help on his own without being forced to do so.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer OR the HAPPY SMILEY FACE. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.


There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can he be ordered or is he legally responsable to continue with his verbal agreements he had made to us years ago as he has done so for long?
I am sorry to say that verbal agreements involving real estate are not enforceable under the Statute of Frauds, they must be written to be enforceable in court.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Do you think we need a lawyer for the court hearing since he has one and if so, how can we find one on our income of only $325.00 a month?

I am sorry, but yes having an attorney is going to absolutely benefit you and if you cannot afford one you can go to legal aid and also contact the state bar and ask for the pro bono attorneys in your area who can assist you. Also, you can contact your local senior citizen's center and the state Adult Protective Services Office as many times they have attorneys who assist seniors in these matters.
Law Educator, Esq. and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you