Barrister, Criminal Defense Law
Experience:  16 years practicing criminal defense.
19958803

if a sexting pic. between two consenting adults exist and one

if a sexting pic. between two consenting adults exist and one of the consenting adults uses it to disetory the other persons cearer is there any legal action that can be taken aginst the offending person
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 5 years ago.

If this was done maliciously to harm the person's reputation, they could have a cause of action for publication of private information. Elements of the tort include (1) publication, (2) absent any waiver or privilege, (3) of private matters in which the public has no legitimate concern, (4) so as to bring shame or humiliation to a person of ordinary sensibilities.

.

The Restatement (Second) of Torts, § 652D, at 383 (1977), articulates the tort of public disclosure of private facts by stating that "(o)ne who gives publicity to a matter concerning the private life of another is subject to liability to the other for invasion of his privacy, if the matter publicized is of a kind that (a) would be highly offensive to a reasonable person, and (b) is not of legitimate concern to the public."

.

The person would need to contact a local civil litigation attorney to discuss the case and what type of damages they could sue for. Since this was a willful act, it is possible that punitive damages would apply to set an example for this behavior and discourage future similar conduct.

.

.

Thanks.

.

If I have answered your question, PLEASE CLICK THE GREEN "ACCEPT" button NOW, so that I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are optional and greatly appreciated. Please keep in mind that I am trying to help you understand and resolve your situation. I don't make the laws, I am just reporting/interpreting them, so the outcome may not be what you had hoped for.

.
Please be patient as I am typically working with several customers at any given time. Some answers take 5 minutes, some 35 minutes, depending on the level of complexity. But rest assured, I will get back with you as soon as I am able.

.

If you need additional clarification on this question, just click "Reply" and I will be happy to help you. Please give me as much detail as you can so that I can respond after receiving all the relevant details.

.

Please be aware that I am not entering into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. With that in mind, please do not post any specific information you do not want available for public viewing. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.