Meigs
Meigs, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  I have multiple years experience prosecuting and defending clients.
22589080

I was pulled over for no given reason(no tickets) and police

Customer Question

I was pulled over for no given reason(no tickets) and police found less than a gram of cocaine in my car. I had an expired tag,no car ins., open container and been drinking. I was never ID. A "girlfriend" had callled the police when I left her house(middle afternoon) due to she was mad. They never read my rights,checked my D.L/Ins or searched the cooler sitting in the back seat of my truck. I was charged with poss. of cocaine and bailed out at 1500.00(150.00 bondsman). I have only been arrested once in my life for a DUI 3 years ago, I am 45 years old. I have no problem taking a drug test due to it was her's.(I know that sound like an excuse). Do I hire a private atty or public defender? Brian iin Athens,Ga
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Meigs replied 5 years ago.
meigs004 :

Hello, how are you tonight.

meigs004 :

So you are wondering whether or not to retain a private attorney or seek appointed counsel?

JACUSTOMER-jpzf9f1t- :

What should I do?

meigs004 :

Hello, I apologize I was assisting another customoer.

meigs004 :

customer*

JACUSTOMER-jpzf9f1t- :

I have spoke to people with thei charges are dropped.My health is too important and my animals(live alone)

meigs004 :

Do you believe you would qualify for appointed counsel?

meigs004 :

I am sorry to hear about your situation Brian.

meigs004 :

I will represent to you that it is always best to have an attorney, appointed or retained. Both would be beneficial to you.

meigs004 :

However, an attorney can negotiate with the officer and the prosecutor to have the charges reduced, the fines dropped, or the charge completely dropped.

meigs004 :

If you can not afford to retain an attorney then I would fill out the affidavit of indigency to see if you qualify to have one appointed to represent you. Court appointed attorney's deal with the prosecutors on a daily basis, and can hopefully work out a good deal for you.

meigs004 :

Does this answer your question?

meigs004 :

Brian?

meigs004 :

Do you have any other questions?

meigs004 :

Are you still available?