Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

My nephew and his girlfriend were just arrested for retail

My nephew and his girlfriend were just arrested for retail theft, don't know how much though and I just wanted to know what kind of punishment are they both looking at. My nephew is being charged with the following:
conspiracy to commit retail theft, M1 offense
possession of drug paraphernalia, M offense
possession of drugs, M offense

This is his 2nd criminal offense, he just got off probation in February

His girlfriend is being charged with the following:
Retail theft - F3 offense
conspiracy to commit retail theft, F3 offense
possession of drugs, M offense
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
An M1 offense in PA is punishable by up to 5 years in jail, while an M2 offense is punishable by up to 2 years in jail and an M3 offense is punishable by up to 1 year in jail. The charges noted with just an M are misdemeanor in the 3rd degree and punishable by up to 1 year in jail. The felony of the 3rd degree is punishable by up to 7 years in prison. The reason for the F3 offense is because she has at least 2 prior convictions for retail theft.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer OR the HAPPY SMILEY FACE. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”