LawTalk, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years legal experience
15277592

What is the punishment for this crime. Best case to worst case.

What is the punishment for this crime. Best case to worst case. is ther a fine or jail time.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 years ago.
Good afternoon,

In what state did the alleged crime occur?

Doug
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Texas
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 years ago.
Good afternoon,

If charged at all, which will depend on who you gave the certificate to and why, it may well be charged only as a misdemeanor---involving likely little if any jail time.

Even a felony charge would result in a fine and no more than 6 months to 2 years in jail. Plea agreements are typically reached which drastically minimize the punishment---especially if you do not have a criminal record already.

I hope you found my answer informative, even if the law is not necessarily in your favor. I wish you the best in 2012.

Doug