Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

how do i file for harasement against person

Customer Question
who reside in albany ny...
how do i file for harasement against person who reside in albany ny area while i live in Clifton park NY. i have his person's phone number and text messages and this person works with me at same place/department. i received numerous calls from this person and harassing text messages like " I will get you fired at work, you cant do anything against me" and called several times. I'm annoyed and frustrated by this person's behavior.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
5/1/2012
Criminal Lawyer: Michael J, Esq., Lawyer replied 5 years ago
Michael J, Esq.

Michael J, Esq. :

Hello - Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to helping you with your criminal problem today.

Michael J, Esq. :

You would need to visit your local city police department and file charges against the person for harassment. You would just need their name and proof that you have been harassed and the police officers should accept your complaint against the person. At that point they will speak to the person and either drop the charges (if they feel nothing happened) or arrest them. If the person is arrested, they'll have the opportunity to defend themselves at a hearing.

Customer:

i will not need address of this person to file for harassment?

Michael J, Esq. :

No, not to file.

Michael J, Esq. :

That is the job of the police to find the person if they feel the complaint is credible.

Customer:

i dont want this person to get arrested but just want restraining order so that this person stop bothering me.

Michael J, Esq. :

That's not how it works. Harassment is a criminal charge.

Michael J, Esq. :

You can't just get a restraining order against a person that has been texting/calling you.

Michael J, Esq. :

Orders of Protection are issued in domestic cases against people who are related but not in this type of case without a criminal conviction first.

Customer:

if this person is a friend, its considered domestic?

Michael J, Esq. :

No.

Customer:

thank you

Michael J, Esq. :

No problem!

Michael J, Esq. :

Good luck! Thank you for letting me assist you with your question. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask them. If not, and you valued my time, please consider clicking ACCEPT so that I get credit for my Answer. I appreciate it!

Take care!

Michael

Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer