How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27482
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just received a ticket in NY State for operating a motor

Resolved Question:

I just received a ticket in NY State for operating a motor vehicle while talking on a cell phone. I have never gotten a ticket before and I am confused about my next step. The officer said I should mail in the ticket, appear at court 15 minutes early and the officer would try to help me out and get the ticket reduced to a parking violation so that I don't get any points on my license. My question is, should I mail in a plea of guilty or not guilty? If I say "guilty" do I even get a chance to appear in court or do I just pay the fine and get the points. Or should I just show up at the appearance date shown on the ticket and try to work something out?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 5 years ago.
Hi Jacustomer,

Texting while driving is a driving infraction. See Section 1225-d of the Vehicle and Traffic law. So it's not a crime and won't give you a criminal record. The penallty consists of just a fine, and it can be no greater than $150. You'd also get 3 points on your liscense.

If you want to go to court and contest the charge, you would plead NOT GUILTY and get a date to come in and fight the case. Sometimes, just from showing up, the prosecutor in the court will give you a break as to the amount of the fine and the points by letting you plead guilty instead to a parking infraction. If it's worth more to you not to give up a workday to come to court, and you don't care about the points, you can pay the fine stated on the ticket, plead guilty and that will take care of that.

Zoey_ JD and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you