Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

How much of a 3 year sentence for XXX, Involved in the

Customer Question
How much of a 3...

How much of a 3 year sentence for XXX Involved in the XXX ponzi scheme did he serve ? Sentenced May 26 ( 27 ? ) byXXX

Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
5/1/2012
Criminal Lawyer: Nate, Lawyer replied 5 years ago
Nate, Lawyer
Thank you for your question. Be sure to go ahead and bookmark www.nateanswers.com for future questions.

Since it is a federal conviction, the calculation is fairly easy. If he maintains a good record in prison, then he will serve 85% of that sentence. So, his effective sentence will be about two years and six months. Deduct how long he was in jail prior to the sentencing, and that is how much longer he will have in prison.
The only way to find out that information is to contact the Bureau of Prisons and request the information. The information to do that is here

http://www.bop.gov/about/contactus.jsp

reply specific to case: how many years did Mark XXXX serve of 3 year sentence May 26 or 27 1992 from Judge EarlXXX in SAn Diego or Los Angeles, Ca ?

Relist: Incomplete answer.
Criminal Lawyer: CrimLaw-US-Tx-Ca, Lawyer replied 5 years ago
CrimLaw-US-Tx-Ca

Federal sentences are usually calculated this way: the person sentenced has to serve 85% of the sentence. In this case, MrXXX received a three year sentence, so he would have to do a little over 2 1/2 years. If that answers your question, please click on the accept button. Thanks!

Also, there is a three year probation reported, although I am not sure that is accurate. Usually, there is a period of what we call "supervised release" which is similar to probation or parole, in that the person, after release from prison, has to report to and abide by rules given them by United States Probation. If they violate their supervised release, then they can be returned to prison.
CrimLaw-US-Tx-Ca
CrimLaw-US-Tx-Ca
CrimLaw-US-Tx-Ca, Lawyer