How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CrimLaw-US-Tx-Ca Your Own Question
CrimLaw-US-Tx-Ca, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 65
Experience:  Licensed since 1985 representing those accused of crime.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
CrimLaw-US-Tx-Ca is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How much of a 3 year sentence for XXX, Involved in the

Customer Question

How much of a 3 year sentence for XXX Involved in the XXX ponzi scheme did he serve ? Sentenced May 26 ( 27 ? ) byXXX

Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Nate replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your question. Be sure to go ahead and bookmark for future questions.

Since it is a federal conviction, the calculation is fairly easy. If he maintains a good record in prison, then he will serve 85% of that sentence. So, his effective sentence will be about two years and six months. Deduct how long he was in jail prior to the sentencing, and that is how much longer he will have in prison.
Expert:  Nate replied 5 years ago.
The only way to find out that information is to contact the Bureau of Prisons and request the information. The information to do that is here
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

reply specific to case: how many years did Mark XXXX serve of 3 year sentence May 26 or 27 1992 from Judge EarlXXX in SAn Diego or Los Angeles, Ca ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  CrimLaw-US-Tx-Ca replied 5 years ago.

Federal sentences are usually calculated this way: the person sentenced has to serve 85% of the sentence. In this case, MrXXX received a three year sentence, so he would have to do a little over 2 1/2 years. If that answers your question, please click on the accept button. Thanks!

Expert:  CrimLaw-US-Tx-Ca replied 5 years ago.
Also, there is a three year probation reported, although I am not sure that is accurate. Usually, there is a period of what we call "supervised release" which is similar to probation or parole, in that the person, after release from prison, has to report to and abide by rules given them by United States Probation. If they violate their supervised release, then they can be returned to prison.

Related Criminal Law Questions