How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nate Your Own Question
Nate, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 10686
Experience:  Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Nate is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Taking a motorcycle trip across the country. I found myself

Resolved Question:

Taking a motorcycle trip across the country. I found myself at the New York/Canada Border. I had a Stun Gun in my Bag on my motorcycle, which in New York is Illegal (Did not know at the time). I forgot to claim a weapon because I really didn't think it was a weapon. When Border patrol searched my Bike they found the Stun Gun, Turned it over to State police & the State police arrested me for criminal possession. They are offering me 240.20 disorderly conduct. I'm not sure what effect this will have on my record and I'm Not sure what I should do.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Nate replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your question. Be sure to go ahead and bookmark for future questions. It's plain that you are guilty. It is long held that ignorance of the law is no excuse. However, because you evidently didn't know, they are offering you a reduced plea deal. Disorderly Conduct is a Violation, which is not even a misdemeanor. It's like a bad traffic ticket and is much better than possession of an illegal weapon. In a situation like this, I would tell my client to jump on their offer of Disorderly Conduct with both feet.
Nate and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you