How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CrimDefense Your Own Question
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27167
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
CrimDefense is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, I have a question on Credit Card fraud, okay lets say

Resolved Question:

Hello, I have a question on Credit Card fraud, okay lets say something was purchased something on an internet site, and your bank flags it for sercurity puporses, and you didn't realize the company at first, you cancel your card because it was misplace during this time, as well, HOWEVER you quickly recalled the charge and allowed the bank to authorize it, the only problem is now the card was canceled. You go back to the site and open a new account with using a new card to make purchases is this credit card fraud??
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 5 years ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.


I certainly understand your concern. This problem is common since often times the name on the credit card statement does not always reflect the name of the website. Prior to canceling it, a consumer should contact their credit card company and try to find out more details about the transaction. Often times, they will be able to see what the website was and what was purchased, to clarify. Canceling the card because it was misplaced is a different story and a safety precaution. None the less, if you want to go back to the site and re-open an account, you should advise them of what previous happened if it becomes and issue with them AND advise your credit card company of the mistake and that you will pay for the item received. They will adjust the statement accordingly. It is not fraud if it was a mistake, you acted in good faith and you corrected the problem.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What if the company is angry with you and claims that they want to do business with you anymore and that they will refund the current purchase and send the information to security for fraud
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 5 years ago.
They do have a right to refuse to do business with you. However they are going to have a hard time proving fraud when you went through all the steps stated above to inform them of what happened
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

They wouldn't allow me to explain they were mad, because I didn't acknowledge the account at first, is there any thing I should do on my end?

Expert:  CrimDefense replied 5 years ago.
Sorry for the delay. You want to make sure the credit card company pays them and reverses the charges, thus, you would be acknowledging the charge and paying for it, which they would obviously accept. As such, based on the time line, it would be hard for them to prove fraud when you fixed the situation once you were aware of the charge. Thank you. If you have not already, please click the submit/accept button, so I can get credit for my help.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Reverse what charges, the one they refunded or the previous charge . My debit card is with Visa, so who would I call to have those charges paid for, it was back in November I think for those previous charges?


Just to be clear: How would I go by, (cause they don't want to talk to me) paying the transcation if it was made some time ago and they want accept my charges on their site. Who would I need to contact to make those charges and how would I give them back the money they just refunded me for the recent services?

Expert:  CrimDefense replied 5 years ago.

As I stated above, if they do not want to talk with you or deal with your regarding your business, they have a right to do so. This should have been resolved in November, once it became an issue. If you received the product and never paid for it as a result of disputing the charge and never went back to see if it was deducted from your account and what the sellers name is, you can see why the seller would not want to deal with you again. You cant force them to do so and can certainly try and explain to them, in writing, what happened. If they do not want to listen and do proceed with a lawsuit against you ( either civil or criminal) you would have to defend it and at that point, make the court aware of the facts surrounding the issue.

CrimDefense and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you