How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal-Guru Your Own Question
Legal-Guru, Criminal Justice Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 1366
Experience:  Experienced Criminal Trial Attorney since 1998.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Legal-Guru is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What can the court do to you on a failure to appear warran

Resolved Question:

What can the court do to you on a failure to appear warrant?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Legal-Guru replied 5 years ago.
If you failed to appear for court, it's a pretty safe bet that they issued a warrant for your arrest. The police could come to your home or work or they could let it set out there until you get pulled over on a traffic stop for something. More than anything it depends on how busy the local police are with other things and the seriousness of the crime you are charged with.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So if I were to get summoned for jury duty, could they arrest me for the failure to appear warrant when I report for jury duty?
Expert:  Legal-Guru replied 5 years ago.
Yes, absolutely. I've seen it happen.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
And then what would happen?
Expert:  Legal-Guru replied 5 years ago.
You go to jail until you post the bond amount on the warrant. Then your case proceeds along either with you in jail or out if you've posted bond. The bond amount is usually much higher on a failure to appear warrant because the person has already demonstrated that they are a flight risk.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If a person is arrested and placed in jail, how would they be able to post a bond? When you say the bond amount is much higher, are you meaning thousands of dollars? I am not attempting to string you along with my questions, nothing like this has ever happened to me before and quite frankly I am very scared, not knowing whether there is some sort of warrant or whatever out there.
Expert:  Legal-Guru replied 5 years ago.
(1) You can contact a bondsman from jail or have a friend or family member do so.

(2) It could be thousands. It also depends on the seriousness of the original charge.

(3) What I would suggest is that you find an attorney and/or a bondsman to find out if there is a warrant and what the bond amount is so you can turn yourself in on it. You can go to do so with the bondsman and they can bond you out so that you do not have to spend any significant amount of time in jail.
Legal-Guru and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you