How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal-Guru Your Own Question
Legal-Guru, Criminal Justice Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 1366
Experience:  Experienced Criminal Trial Attorney since 1998.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Legal-Guru is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got a ticket for CVC 4461 (c) and it is in the category of

Resolved Question:

I got a ticket for CVC 4461 (c) and it is in the category of misdemeanor.
the story is, I got the place card that randomly appeared in my mailbox, and i wasn't really using it. one day i went to school, and i used it. the school police called me and ask me to wait next to my car since he has to talk to me. when the officer arrived, he ask me do i own this place care? i said well, it appeared in my mailbox and with no envelop. and he gave me a ticket says CVC 4461 (c) and it is in the category of misdemeanor. It is the first time i've gotten the citation of misdemeanor. I don't know what should I do next. and it happened on 4/3/12 and I still do not receive the ticket and i guess it is because the officer wrote my address wrong.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Legal-Guru replied 5 years ago.
You should contact the court clerk's office and let them know that your address is wrong. Otherwise, they will have no way of knowing. If it is showing a court date online, make sure you don't miss that or they will issue a warrant for your arrest.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
so what will happen if I go to the court?
Expert:  Legal-Guru replied 5 years ago.
It carries up to 6 months in jail and a fine of $250 to $1,000, but it would be very unlikely that they would be seeking jail time on this time of offense. You are most likely looking at a fine, court cost, and possibly community service. If you can afford an attorney, it would be a good idea to get one for your court appearance.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what do I do if i go to the court? for trail?
Expert:  Legal-Guru replied 5 years ago.
Your initial court appearance will not be a trial. It's just to see if you want to plead guilty or not guilty. If you go without an attorney, make sure to ask what your sentence will be before you say "guilty". If it sounds agreeable to you, then you can plead guilty. If not or if you're unsure, plead "not guilty". They will give you a new court date which may be a trial date or could be another status conference date. In any event, it will buy you time to hire an attorney and/or make up your mind.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
most likely im going to say im guilty since the officer told me about it although i didn't know it before. after i said guilty what options will they most likely give?
Expert:  Legal-Guru replied 5 years ago.
You need to ask before you plead guilty what your sentence will be so you can make an informed decision. Options are gone once you plead guilty.
Legal-Guru and 5 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Criminal Law Questions