Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I was verbally threaten in front of another person. The individual

Customer Question
said he was going to...
I was verbally threaten in front of another person. The individual said he was going to shoot up my house and he was going to do it at 2 AM. I called police and reported it immediately and showed the video security camera to police and gave them a copy; however it doesn't have voice, but shows my witness standing in the midst of conversation.
But investigating officer says nothing can be done other than warning this individual not to say such threats. What action can I take to have this individual pesecuted.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
5/1/2012
Criminal Lawyer: Dwayne B., Lawyer replied 5 years ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
You have done all that you can reasonably do, advising the police about it. You could contact the District/State Attorney's office for your county and advise that you want to pursue it but likely all they are going to do is tell you to file a police report. Contrary to what most people believe charges can only be filed by the police or the District attorney. A citizen can only file a report with the police and ask them to press charges, a citizen can't actually file the charges themselves.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Be very careful about looking at other internet sites that just post generic information without any inquiry into your facts because often those answers are dated, wrong, or wrong as applied to your facts. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer