How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask xavierjd Your Own Question
xavierjd, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 3400
Experience:  Over 20 yrs experience in prosecution and defense work
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
xavierjd is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I pleaed Quity on 2 counts of Public Indecency back in 1982

This answer was rated:

I pleaed Quity on 2 counts of Public Indecency back in 1982 & 1991. May I receive a pardon for these two cases? I am 59 year of age.
Thanks for using It will be my pleasure to assist you.

Have you had any other convictions since 1991?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry for the delay. I was assisting another customer.

I want to look up a couple of things for you. I will be back with an answer for you shortly.

Thanks for your patience.
As a general rule, persons who have pled to or been convicted of an offense are NOT eligible for an expungement of their criminal history.

Therefore, the only other relief available to you is through the Georgia State Board of Pardons. As a general rule, however, the Board does NOT grant pardons to persons who were convicted of misdemeanors.

BUT, the rule of thumb is if you are unsure whether or not you qualify for a pardon, you should go ahead and apply. There is no harm in doing so.

Below is a link to Georgia pardon information. It explains the authority of the Board, eligibility and the application process. There is also a link to the instructions and forms necessary to apply for a Pardon.

I wish that I could have provided you with a more favorable response. But, the law for expungements is clear. However, although there is not a high likelihood that you can obtain a pardon, it remains a possibility and it's worth a try.

It has been a pleasure to interact with you this evening. I hope that you find the information useful and that you CLICK THE SMILEY FACE so that I can get credit for answering the question. Thank you. Good luck.
xavierjd and 4 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Criminal Law Questions