Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

My neighbor is threating to get a restraining order against

my daugther-15 because she visits...
My neighbor is threating to get a restraining order against my daugther-15 because she visits her son and she wants it keep her out of the house when she is not home.Which is something I am in agreement with. Her son is not someone I want my daugther around he is legally in trouble constantly-legal, 17, into drugs and a big problem. I don't want my daugther with him either so that doesn't bother me but what are my rights and can this be done
5/1/2012
Meigs
Meigs, Criminal Defense Lawyer

meigs004 :

Hello, I can definitely assist you with this question.

meigs004 :

I see that you are currently offline. I would love to chat with you live as this chat is intended for live communication. This allows for me to gather more information and for you to ask follow up questions so we can provide an efficient answer. Please post something when you return so I can be notified and I will return and answer your questions.

Customer:

I am still here.......

meigs004 :

Great, how are you today?

Customer:

fine

meigs004 :

So you are in agreement with the children not seeing each other but do not want a restraining order placed on your son?

Customer:

yes I don't want my daughter around him either but the problem is when she is outside she goes to see him for some reason all the teenage girls think he is cool,because he is living on the edge and first my daughter is 15 and second she doesn't need that role model...

meigs004 :

I understand. You are in between a rock and a hard place as you two are neighbors. Restraining orders, no-contact orders, and Temporary Restraining Orders are difficult to enforce when the individuals live so close together.

meigs004 :

Without getting law enforcement involved through trespassing him from your residence, and them trespassing her from theirs, it will be difficult. I even believe that a court would be hesitant to issue a restraining order as the proximity would make it difficult. The only feasible aspect would be a no contact order where they would not be allowed to speak to each other in anyway. However, violation of a no-contact order is a criminal offense, and you may not want to place your daughter in that position.

Customer:

Plus I am trying to stay neutral, a few weeks ago when my sister and I went down to their house to look for her,cayuse she was out of the house and overdue on her curfew. the people told his mother we took pictures which we did not.... and I don't want to get a racial thing started..

meigs004 :

I understand. I would first, personally, try and do some harsh parenting and tell her the consequences of her actions. Legally, as of now with no order in place it will be hard for the court to keep them apart, and they may even tell you to crack down on her as her parent.

Customer:

Criminal offense for violation consist of what..... A scare by police may wake her up she thinks like all teens she feels that won't happen to her and the grownups are making it all up

meigs004 :

Just getting picked up, or a warrant issued. The penalties and fines are not that harsh, but it may just scare her.

Customer:

she also has been involved in being present while he vandlised na church although no charges weree made because she worked it off and we split the cost with his mother

meigs004 :

I see. He definitely sounds like a trouble maker. I would contact the sheriff's office to see if you could not get a no-contact order in place, or work in conjunction with the other parent to see that they are not allowed to see each other.

Customer:

do you happen to know approx. what fees are involved I realize that it may depend on the state/county

meigs004 :

To file the no-contact order?

Customer:

yes

meigs004 :

What state and county are you located in ?

Customer:

bulter county in WestChester Ohio.

meigs004 :

I am stating no contact order, but the terms vary from jurisdiction. No contact orders in my jurisdiction usually relate to an order by a judge to prevent some type of abuse or immediate harm. A TRO is the same, but the threat of abuse is usually not as imminent. TRO stands for Temporary Restraining Order.

Customer:

i understand

meigs004 :

As stated, the judge may be hesitant to issue either considering the proximity of your residences, but I would definitely check in to the filing of one, and I would tell the other parent that you are not opposed to keeping them apart.

Customer:

Thankyou for your time and help.

meigs004 :

Absolutely, please click the accept button and do not forget to leave feedback.

Meigs
Meigs, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Meigs
Meigs
Meigs, Criminal Defense Lawyer