How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27134
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX have a question 8 years ago my bf and

Resolved Question:

hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX have a question 8 years ago my bf and i went on vaca to calif we went to visit my son there.we went to a flea market there a flea market there i got sick wish heat exaustion i neede air conditioning it was in the 90s bf handicapped we were parked in a parking lot it was a huge mistake we made we let my son back out my bf car insted of using the break he exceleratd he hit 2 other cars my bf and i took care of the damages to all the cars he hit.about 2 weeks ago he got picked up and got arrested for what he did im not feeling good right now it was the biggest mistak we made he got a court date on next fri im am terrified he been charged wit a misdaminer do you know the laws in calif what his fines are or sentance is
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 5 years ago.
Hi Jacustomer,

What was the charge against him? Your facts don't make out a hit and run., since you say you took care of the damages. Was your son a licensed driver? I'd be happy to look up the sentences for him if you use the reply box below to tell me what he was arrested for
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
we paniced and left the sene becaus of me getting sick he had a permiti feel so sorry for my son taking all the blame he had a learners permit at the time my bf handicapped he walks on hand crutches he couldnt get in the car to move it him self
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 5 years ago.
Hi Jacustomer,

I realized after I sent of my information request that you said this happened 8 years ago. In California, the statute of limitations on a misdemeanor is only one year, and if, as you said you and your boyfriend paid for all of the damages to the automobile, the police should have been able to find your son's whereabouts a long time ago.

So I would argue that the case be dismissed on those grounds. You should make sure that your son has criminal a lawyer, since this is a misdemeanor. YOu would not want him to end up with a criminal record if there is any way that this can be dismissed or disposed of without a criminal conviction.

Here is the statute under which he was charged. See VC 2002 It has a maximum penalty of 6 months in jail and/or a fine of up to $1,000. If he makes his court appearances, however, he should not have to be concerned about a jail sentence.
Zoey_ JD and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i can pay the fine im praying he do serve time in jail i cry at time in what we did