Meigs
Meigs, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  I have multiple years experience prosecuting and defending clients.
22589080

What is the penalty for driving without an ignition interlock

What is the penalty for driving without an ignition interlock in Washington State?

meigs004 :

Hello, how are you today?

meigs004 :

Were you convicted of DUI?

Customer:

I'm rather well today, thank you for asking. How are you?

meigs004 :

I am doing well, thanks.

Customer:

I have been convicted of DUI in the past.

meigs004 :

Ok, and you were ordered to drive with the interlock device installed on your vehicle?

Customer:

Correct.

meigs004 :

Ok, how many prior DUI's do you have?

Customer:

Two.

meigs004 :

Ok. Give me just a moment to pull the penalties for driving without one after being ordered by the court.

Customer:

Appreciated.

meigs004 :

Ok here is the law.

meigs004 :

If, based upon notification from the interlock provider or otherwise, the department determines that an ignition interlock required under this section is no longer installed or functioning as required, the department shall suspend the person's license or privilege to drive. Whenever the license or driving privilege of any person is suspended or revoked as a result of noncompliance with an ignition interlock requirement, the suspension shall remain in effect until the person provides notice issued by a company doing business in the state that a vehicle owned or operated by the person is equipped with a functioning ignition interlock device.

(2) It is a gross misdemeanor for a person with such a notation on his or her driving record to operate a motor vehicle that is not so equipped.

meigs004 :

RCW 46.20.740

meigs004 :

It is a gross misdemeanor in the state of Washington.

meigs004 :

A gross misdemeanor penalty can be:

meigs004 :

Misdemeanors and Gross Misdemeanors. (a) Any crime punishable by a fine of not more than one thousand dollars, or by imprisonment in a county jail for not more than ninety days, or by both such fine and imprisonment is a misdemeanor. Whenever the performance of any act is prohibited by any statute, and no penalty for the violation of such statute is imposed, the committing of such act shall be a misdemeanor.

meigs004 :

Does this answer your question?

Customer:

Yes, thank you.

meigs004 :

Great, please click the accept button and leave feedback if you do not have any additional questions.

meigs004 :

Do you have any other questions?

meigs004 :

Please do not forget to click the accept button.

Customer:

No other question.