How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nate Your Own Question
Nate, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 10686
Experience:  Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Nate is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

M 20 yr old daughter got herself into trouble by getting a

Customer Question

M 20 yr old daughter got herself into trouble by getting a DWI 0.08 ,Open bottle of Bacardi lime back seat floor and other vehicle violations. My husband company is has applied for bankrupty and I only work part time. Is she able to get a public defender? She works part time and goes to college?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Nate replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your question. Be sure to go ahead and bookmark for future questions.

Yes, she can get a public defender. Her eligibility is determined by her income, not yours and your husband's. As a part time working student there is no doubt she would qualify. When she goes to court the first time, she needs to request that an attorney will be appointed to represent her. She will fill out a financial affidavit, the judge will review it, and based on what you've stated, an attorney will be appointed.

If you require more information, I will be happy to follow up with you. In the meantime, please remember to click Accept so that I get credit for my time assisting you. If my answer has been especially helpful, please also consider a suitable BONUS.

And remember, I want you satisfied, so if I can help you further, please ask so that you can provide Positive Feedback once we've addressed your legal question to your satisfaction.