How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience practicing attorney
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is a college student in Granville Ohio, he was charged

Resolved Question:

My son is a college student in Granville Ohio, he was charged with a 3rd degree misdemeanor for disorderly conduct (intoxicated and urinated in a public place) this is the first time he has ever been in trouble, he just turned 21. A friend who was with him (female) was also intoxicated and urinated in public, was not charged. Should we hire an attorney or will a court appointed attorney be a good option?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 5 years ago.
Dear JACUSTOMER - It is always best to be represented by counsel. If he cannot afford an attorney he can ask the court to appoint one. Obviously you can hire a private lawyer if you choose to do so. In any event it is important for him to be represented. Generally these cases can be "plea bargained" to some lesser offense but that is not a promise. It always depends on the prosecutor and the judge of the particular court as to how they will approach these cases. If this is his first offense he can apply to have any conviction expunged at a later date but he needs to be careful what he is pleading to in a plea bargain and that is why it is advisable to have an attorney to protect his rights. Of course the attorney can also review the police report to make certain none of his Constitutional rights were violated at the time of the arrest. The fact that his companion was not charged is not relevant as to whether a crime was committed by him but there may be an Equal Protection argument of select enforcement of the law.
Dave Kennett and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you