Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

I had a speeding ticket Jackson County, GA (95mph in 70mph

I had a speeding ticket Jackson County, GA (95mph in 70mph limit) in March of 2011. I forgot about it... while led to a failure to appear and then a license suspension.

In December 2011 I was reminded of the ticket, as I was arrested for an expired tag and driving on a suspended license. I bailed out the same night.

I paid the ticket and court cost in ($540) in Jackson. I was issued a reinstatement letter but have not gone to get my license reinstated.

On March 29, 2011 I appeared on my schedule court date (1:30pm) and asked for a continuance. My next court date is April 12, 2012. If I get my license reinstated before then, will my license be suspended again if I pay the fine? Should I wait to reinstate my license until after the court date? Or do I need a lawyer?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
The license may be suspended again or the court can actually agree to give you credit for the previous suspension towards any new suspension. However, this is up to the discretion of the court as to whether they give you any credit for the time you have failed to go reinstate your license and most judges will not do so without some good cause. Because of the excessive speed involved here and the fact that not only will there be a high fine, but a fairly high surcharge for doing 35 miles over, I would strongly urge you using an attorney to go to court and represent you.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT and/or the HAPPY SMILEY FACE button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”