Legal-Guru
Legal-Guru, Criminal Justice Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced Criminal Trial Attorney since 1998.
58645016

HI, THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO ANSWER MY QUESTIONS... LET

HI, THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO ANSWER MY QUESTIONS... LET ME FIRST START OFF BY SAYING I AM NOT A DRUG DEALER NOR DO I MAKE A HABIT OF BREAKING THE LAW IN OTHER WAYS EITHER. " AND SORRY ABOUT THE ALL CAPITAL LETTERS BUT THE KEY IS STUCK ON MY KEY BOARD". BUT I WAS WONDERING WHAT ONE SHOULD DO IF THE COUNTY POLICE WAS FOLLOWING YOU AND MAY OTHERS AROUND AT NIGHT WITH THEIR HEADLIGHTS OFF? SOMETIMES THEY ARE EVEN DRIVING IN THE WRONG LANE SO AS TO ENSURE THAT THEY ARE NOT SEEN. IT IS CRAZY, AND VERY DANGEROUS TO THE OTHER UNSUSPECTING DRIVERS ON THE ROAD, NOT TO MENTION THE PEOPLE THAT ARE HAVING THEIR RIGHTS TAKEN BY THESE INDIVIDUALS . I HAVE TRIED A COUPLE OF TIMES TO MAKE A COMPLAINT, ONLY TO BE TOLD "NO" WHEN I GOT TO THEIR DEPARTMENT. THERE ARE ALSO MANY OTHER THINGS THAT THEY ARE DOING TO THE PEOPLE OF MY TOWN THAT ARE FAR FROM RIGHT. AND IS IT RIGHT THAT THE POLICE OWN BOTH THE JAILS AND THE COURTHOUSES?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Legal-Guru replied 5 years ago.
That seems like very odd and dangerous behavior. You can call or write the sheriff in the event he is not aware of this activity. You can also try lodging a complaint with the CHP. They would also have jurisdiction over illegal driving on state highways. You could also try contacting the local media to see if they will do a story on it.

Other than that your options are limited to the political process. In California county sheriffs are elected so they are accountable to the voters. You can support his/her opponent in the next election.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
HI IT'S ME AGAIN, I GUESS I SHOULD HAVE TOLD YOU IN MY PREVIOUS LETTER THAT IT IS THE SHERIFF'S DEPT THAT IS DOING ALL THE THINGS THAT I MENTIONED AND UNFORTUNATELY THE HWY PATROL KNOWS EXACTLY WHAT IS GOING ON AND DOES NOTHING...ONE EVEN STATED THAT THEY WERE HIS FRIENDS. UNFORTUNAYELY THEY ALSO LIE, LIE IN COURT, AND STEAL. I KNOW THIS FIRST HAND
I understand, but don't assume that just because a few deputies or CHP's are ok with it that the supervisors of those respective agencies approve. They may, but you don't know until you try making a formal complaint.

Ultimately, the political process is designed to take care of situations like this through the ballot box. If their activity results in an automobile accident, then they will face substantial civil liability and possibly even criminal liability.