How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 31770
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

got into fight in nj.punched guy and knocked him out.found

Resolved Question:

got into fight in nj.punched guy and knocked him out.found guilty in criminal court for second degree agg assualt.5 years probation,fines its time for civil court,the lawyer from the guy i hit wants me to cop out and pay 135,000 for damages that occured from the punch.(medical exp)I think the total of all expences is 178, question is should I go to trial or accept the 135,000 with monthly payments of 175.00 with a yearly review to increase it 25.00,if my salary goes up.the judge thats mediating the situation says I can go to trial if found guilty things can get worst.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Roger replied 5 years ago.

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Criminal Law litigation attorney here to assist you.


If you were found guilty in the criminal case, a civil suit is much more difficult to defend because of the prevailing conviction.


Obviously, I don't know anything about the facts of the case, the bills incurred (whether they are all reasonable and whether they are all related to the injuries sustained from your actions) or any defense you could have for self-defense, etc.


However, I would recommend that you listen to the suggestions of the mediator as he/she likely has a good gauge on all of these issues and can give you a very good idea of where this case may end up if you proceed to trial.


Also, if you settle this case, it is possible that you could have the settlement discharged in bankruptcy. However, if a judgment is entered against you, it is less likely to be dischargable.

Roger and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you