AlexiaEsq.
AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney
Experience:  19+ Years of Legal Practice in Criminal Law.
10805288

We own a small independent dealership, a woman came in and

We own a small independent dealership, a woman came in and stole bank papers and the deal jacket pertaining to her car purchase. We called police, she admitted to taking papers to take to her lawyer. She was arrested for theft. Since then her, her brother and 22 year old son have been picketing our company. Isn't there some sort of law that states if you have been arrested and had not gone to court yet, you should not be picketing the company you were arrested for stealing from?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  AlexiaEsq. replied 5 years ago.

AlexiaEsq. :

*Due to rules of your state bar or mine, nothing herein is intended as legal advice, only intended as general information to better help yourself.

AlexiaEsq. :

Hi, unfortunately, there is no known law in Ohio that says you can not picket (assuming you are not prohibited from picketing in that town, say, without a permit) if you have been charged with a crime. They are really two different legal matters, even though they are likely picketing because they are angry that the woman, a customer, was charged with theft. Look at Trayvon's family and non-family supporters. They are picketing all over the place, even though he himself, had he lived, likely would have been charged with assault and/or even though the person who allegedly shot him in self defense has not been charged at all yet.

AlexiaEsq. :

Now, you may want to look into town ordinances about how one is permitted to picket. Do they need a permit? Do then need to be X yards away from your property?

AlexiaEsq. :

Are they guilty of any local violation while exercising what may otherwise be an exercise of free speech?

AlexiaEsq. :

Also consider if they are committing defamation against you, which would be a civil tort for which you could sue them/hold them liable.

AlexiaEsq. :

That would potentially be the case if they were

AlexiaEsq. :

stating, to third party listeners, false statements of fact against you. Not negative opinion, to which they are entitled, but false statements of fact, such as, "you stole from the woman" or some other false statement.

AlexiaEsq. :

I hope this helps clarify for you.

Because I help people like you here, for a living---this is not a hobby for me---I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX abiding by the honor system with regard to Accepting answers, by Clicking your ACCEPT button now. Feel free to follow up after, if you need clarification. An ACCEPT also assures that I can assist you again. A BONUS is a wonderful way to tell the expert her time and effort are appreciated. I wish you the best in your future.