Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I had my Illinois drivers license revoked in 2005. Since then…

Customer Question
I had my Illinois drivers...
I had my Illinois drivers license revoked in 2005. Since then I've tried to get my ILllinois drivers license reinstated multiple times with no results. Now I was just involved in a car accident Fed12 2012 my car was totaled and two othor cars damaged with minor injurys. No DUI or Drugs involved I was just was returning my fiance car after a long day of getting moved into our new house I got for my family who I love. I have had prior DUI's in the past but haven't drank since 2005 and have straightend myself out except for the not being able to drive. My tickets are for failure to reduce speed and driving on a revoked. I just went to court today and the States Attorney said they are looking for jail time. I have contacted the public defenders offince since I'm unemployed now. My unemployment pays for my 3 kids and fiancee to live in our new home. What can I do to minimize my jail time or is there anyother way to advoid it with other options....work release?....house arrest?...How long of jailtime will they be asking for? I haven't been away from my kids since they were born Noah Aug27th 2004 and Abigail Nov 6th 2006 and I've been with Jennifer for over years and they all need me. What can i do? I don't have money to get a good Lawyer I'm relly worried this could go bad for me and my family. Any advice would help. I know I made a big mistake and take full responsibility. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
3/13/2012
Criminal Lawyer: Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law replied 6 years ago
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation.

What were you charged with this time?
Failure to reduce speed and driving on a Illinois revoked drivers license.
Thank you for your follow up.

Do you have any previous convictions for driving while revoked or suspended?
I had two DUI's in 1997....so I was suspended then another in 2001. In 2005 I again had a DUI then thats when I think it was revoked. So from 2005 to now revoked. This accident No Dui No drugs...i just got ran off the road by some idiot with a cell phone that left the scene and didn't see the car in front of me stoped turning,,,then after I hit that car I slide into a stop-n-go and hit another vehicle. ....no major injurys except I had to got to the emergency room for head,knee leg issues and loc could'nt remember alot after the crash.
Thank you for your follow up.

Do you know if you have been charged with a Felony or a Misdemeanor this time?

I think it will be a felony...pretty sure of this.

Thank you for your follow up.

If the reason for the suspension or revocation is related to a DUI, leaving the scene of a fatal accident, or reckless homicide, a charge for driving while license suspended or revoked can be a felony (punishable by incarceration in state prison). Generally, on a second offense for driving while license suspended or revoked (after a DUI), the risk of a felony is at least 50 percent. The State can charge the driver with a felony, but often does not.

Unfortunately, it is very likely that you are looking at a class 4 felony which carries a minimal sentence of 1 year in prison and generally sentences range from 1-3 years in prison.

Unfortunately, there is not many options when it comes to this type of offenses due to the public policy and the pressure on the prosecutors and judges to hand out minimum jail sentences and if you cannot afford a private attorney, the state will provide you with a free public defender, but unfortunately he might not be able to do much in this type of a situation.

If you are satisfied with my answer, I would appreciate if you would click on the accept button.

Please keep in mind if you already made a deposit or on a monthly subscription plan you will not incur any additional charges, but I will only be compensated for my time and effort only if you click on ACCEPT.

Bonus and positive feedback are always greatly appreciated
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Thanks for your time. Michael A. Piliponis
Thank you for using JustAnswer.com and good luck!