Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My son was involved in a DUI case before leaving for Navy boot…

Customer Question
My son was involved in...
My son was involved in a DUI case before leaving for Navy boot camp. I wasn't aware of this until after he left since he handled it himself with the help of a lawyer and a friend from his recruiter who was handling his money for the fine. The case was supposed to have been plead down to DUAI in NY State (Under the limit but underage?) and have been closed by now.
I've now received a letter for him stating that he missed a court date for this case and must appear for his next date on April 4th. If not, a warrant will be issued. I doubt if the court is aware he is in the military.
What can I do to help him and what should he do? His lawyer hasn't returned my call yet and I'm not sure if I should call the court and inform them of his status. He is in California training for a Special Forces job and doesn't have access to his phone except late evenings Pacific Time.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
3/11/2012
Criminal Lawyer: Fran-mod,
 replied 6 years ago
Fran-mod
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
I did receive this reply that my expert needs more information. Please tell what kind of information you need.
Thanks, XXXXX
Criminal Lawyer: Fran-mod,
 replied 6 years ago

Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly.
Criminal Lawyer: P. Simmons, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years military law experience.

You have a mess here sir

I suspect that once the Navy finds this out? They will separate him for failing to disclose this prior to his leaving for bootcamp.

The Navy has a rule that all arrests must be disclosed. I suspect he did not disclose this arrest and court case.

And the Navy will see this warrant sooner or later.

I woud have a local attorney engage with the prosecutor and see if they can work out a deal. If your son can resolve this and remove the warrant it may be he can prevent this from becoming an issue (and stay int he Navy)

I would encourage your son to do just that

P. Simmons, Lawyer
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX hoping his lawyer can straighten this out without his having to separate from the service to answer a charge.
Welcome.

Speed is key here. If you can get the prosecutor to understand it is best for all to resolve this quickly, I bet you can pull this off.