Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My husband and I live in Wisconsin. On Monday 03/05/2012 we…

My husband and I live...
My husband and I live in Wisconsin. On Monday 03/05/2012 we were invited to my sister Tasha's house for lunch. At the house were my sister Tasha, her girlfriend Cat, my other sisters dad and brother (Dick & Adam) and another couple (Kay & Shawn) We arrived around 11:00 am, at about 11:45 my husband and I went outside to smoke a ciggarette, Dick came out and asked if we had taken $300 off the counter, we said no, he went back inside. When we came back inside we didn't see Tasha anywhere, about 15 minutes two deputys come to the house and ask to speak to my husband outside, we go outside and they ask if they know why they are there, etc. We say no, but that Tasha had said $300 was taken off the counter, they ask us if anyone in the house would say we were 1. in Tasha's Room (she had changed the location of where the money went missing) or 2. Had gone to our vehicle. We said 'No".. to our surprise.. the officer said that everyone in the house had said yes, my husband had not only gone into Tasha's room but had also made several trips to the vehicle. They arrested my husband (catch & release). I offered to be searched (they obviously searched my husband and didn't find anything, we don't steal), I also offered to to let them search our vehicle, which they did, and agian didn't find the missing money. Now my husband has court on Monday for misdameanor theft, any idea where it will go from there? Most people we've talked to said it would more than likely be dismissed, but were not to sure. The arresting officer told us it depends on which d.a. we get and how the judge is feeling. (The officers never took down any names of the 'witnesses' either)
3/9/2012
Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer

Hello there

If the police did not take down any of the names of the witnesses against you and did not find any money even though they searched your persons and the car, I would tend to agree with the lawyer and the others that you have spoken with and feel that this will most likely be dropped when the DA calls the case on the court date. I am appalled that your own sister would do this to you and I am wondering if this was a way for them to get $300 from you that they needed and they figured if they accused you of it that you would simply give them $300 to make this go away. WHen you did not play along with their game, they called the police. Now you have to see how far they are willing to take this before you decide whether or not your husband needs to hire a lawyer so that the lawyer can beat these charges back and get them dismissed (a good lawyer can trip up any witness in something like this and if the charges actually get so far as to go to a trial the lawyer will work on any witnesses that show up to a point where the judge will not believe what they have to say anyway).

--MARY

Please press the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON so I will be paid for my time. I am not paid anything unless you press the ACCEPT button at the bottom or side of this ANSWER box. This is not a hobby for me -- it is how I earn a living in a bad economy so I appreciate it when my customers press ACCEPT to pay me for assisting them. Pressing ACCEPT will not cost you any additional money -- it simply acts as a trigger for Just Answer to pay me for my time. THANK YOU !!

Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Thank You Mary. I have to admit I was pretty surprised too, this isn't the first time my sister has wrongly accused someone of doing something .. (in fact betwen the ages of 15-18 she call the police on every boyfriend she had saying that they had raped her, it stopped when social services got involved and the police told her they were going to start charging her with filing fake police reports.) She's got some mental issues, always have, but has never done anything to me or my husband/kids up until Monday. She's already changed her story, told the police one thing and said the opposite on facebook (we printed it out) but THANK YOU for the answer, I've been trying to tell my husband not to worry, but he doesn't have much faith in the justice system, I'm sure he'll feel much better now.
Good Luck. You might just want to limit contact with your sister and her family from this point forward. --MARY
Legalease
Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer