Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Married 28 years and I am the main income provider. Over the…

Customer Question
Married 28 years and I...
Married 28 years and I am the main income provider. Over the course of the 15 month process which ultimately settled two days before going to trial, the judge provided guidance towards a settlement that stipulated I pay for my wife's final attorneys fees. The attorney was asking for $40k but settled on $25k and the judge was adamant that pay. My wife's attorney apparently provided some level of documentation to the judge but neither the judge or my attorney get a copy of it. I have already been ordered to pay $13,000, which I have however this last amount seems very extreme. Am I entitled to receive a copy of the time and expenses associated with the court ordered instructions? My wife's attorney completely exhausted the discovery process asking for repeated documents which resulted in my attorney submitting 2,000 pages of documentation that did not result in anything. I even had to pay $2,000 for a forensic accountant that resulted in nothing. I feel all of this was to increase costs and billing for my wife's attorney.

Please advise.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
3/7/2012
Criminal Lawyer: Meigs, Criminal Defense Lawyer replied 6 years ago
Meigs
Meigs, Criminal Defense Lawyer

meigs004 :

Hello! How are you today?

Customer:

Good

meigs004 :

Good. Let me read your situation a little more closely and we can try and address your situation.

Customer:

ok

meigs004 :

Are you asking whether or not you can get an itemized list of what you are to pay for?

Customer:

Yes. The amounts are very high and I want to know how the billing, time spent, etc. was applied to arrive at such high costs

meigs004 :

Ok. Have you asked the court for the documentation yet? You can motion the court for the attorney to supply documentation of how this judgment was reached.

Customer:

I did ask my attorney and she responded that she didn't have it but did not mention requesting it from the court. And this option is still available to me even though the final settlement occured a few weeks ago on 2/17?

meigs004 :

You may ask the court for the documentation in which they arrived at that amount.

Customer:

Ok...Thx!!

meigs004 :

I would consult your attorney about getting an itemized list from the attorney of all billing, expenses etc.

meigs004 :

Thank you.

meigs004 :

If this answers your question, please click the accept button and leave feedback!

Customer:

Very good....thank you

Meigs
Meigs, Criminal Defense Lawyer