Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My daughter was arrested and charged in Jefferson County Mo…

Customer Question
My daughter was arrested and...
My daughter was arrested and charged in Jefferson County Mo for removal of personal property valued over $500.00. She was released after 12 hours pending a P A W. If the parties that initially filed the complaint want to withdraw, how do they proceed?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
3/7/2012
Criminal Lawyer: ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Thank you for using JustAnswer.

If the case has not yet been referred to the DA's office, but is still with the police, the parties that filed the complaint can notify the police that they don't wish to press charges (or no longer wish to press charges). If it has been referred to the DA's office already, then the party would need to inform the prosecutor of this fact.

"Pressing charges" is where the victim expresses a wish or desire that the police charge and the prosecution prosecute an individual for a crime. It is not binding on either police or prosecutor, one way or the other. The victim can wish to press charges, and the police don't have to investigate or actually charge, and the prosecution doesn't have to prosecute. Or it can be the reverse, that even against the victim's wishes, the police / prosecution can move forward with a case. But the wishes of the victim are very influential, and except in limited circumstances, they're almost always followed by the police or prosecutor.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please select the "accept" button. If you have already clicked "accept", or if you will in the future, please let me know so I can track these for my own reports and customer satisfaction stats. Thank you, and again, good luck to you!
Did you have any other questions before you click "accept"?
I see that you have not responded in some time. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please select the "accept" button. If you have already clicked "accept", or if you will in the future, please let me know so I can track these for my own reports and customer satisfaction stats. Thank you, and again, good luck to you!