Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I live in Washington state and have a felony on my record from…

Customer Question
I live in Washington state...
I live in Washington state and have a felony on my record from when I was a juvenile. My crime was non violent and wasn't sex related, burglaries and a taking motor vehicle without permission. I'm sure my circumstances surrounding the incidents are irrelevant but I was homeless between 13-15 and that's what happens when your a kid and Hungary. Here's the problem, I'm 43 years old and would like to get my gun rights restored and I've been told I have to hire an attorney to petition the courts to seal my file. Is this true, is there any other way and can I get help with this some how?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
3/7/2012
Criminal Lawyer: Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law replied 6 years ago
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Hello. My name is Alex and I will be happy to answer your question.

Were you charged and convicted as an adult of this felony?
No all are juvenile no adult felonies
You still there?
Thank you for your follow up.

While you can try to restore your gun rights yourself, it can be a complex legal process and I would strongly recommend that you do consult and retain local post conviction relief attorney.

If it is a Class A felony or a sex offense, you must seek a Pardon, Annulment, Certificate of Rehabilitation.

This is also true if the crime was committed as a juvenile offender.

If it is a Class B or C Felony the following three conditions must be met: (1) More than 5 years have passed in the community without being convicted of any crime (misdemeanor or felony); (2) No criminal charges are currently pending in any federal, state or local court; (3) The person does not have a prior felony prohibiting the possession of firearms counted as part of the offender score. If these three conditions are met you may be eligible to seek restoration of Firearm Rights.

If the crime is Domestic Violence related and the person is prohibited to own or possess firearms, then the four conditions must be met: (1) More than 3 years have passed in the community without being convicted of any crime; (2) No criminal charges are currently pending in any federal, state or local court; (3) The person does not have a prior felony prohibiting the possession of firearms counted as part of the offender score; (4) The person has successfully completed all conditions of their Judgment & Sentence including any financial obligations.

These are the first thresholds. Now, if you qualify, you must show the court you are worthy. Since the restoration is at the Court’s discretion, you must convince the Court, often through written statements and testimony, that you are worthy of having this right restored.

If you are satisfied with my answer, I would appreciate if you would click on the accept button.

Please keep in mind if you already made a deposit or on a monthly subscription plan you will not incur any additional charges, but I will only be compensated for my time and effort only if you click on ACCEPT.

Bonus and positive feedback are always greatly appreciated
So are you a Washington attorney and can you fix this? I meet the requirements you described.
Thank you for your follow up.

I am a licensed attorney, but I am not licensed in the state of Washington, but even if I was, JustAnswer.com legal experts, such as myself are strictly prohibited from providing JustAnswer.com customers with any type of legal services or legal representation.

You can use these well trusted and reliable attorney information/referral websited to find a licensed and expereinced gun rights restoration attorney in your area:

www.martindale.com
www.justia.com
www.lexmundi.com
www.lawyers.com