Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My 20 year old son went to New Orleans with some guys and got…

Customer Question
My 20 year old son...
My 20 year old son went to New Orleans with some guys and got drunk. He got away from his group somehow and about 3:00 am wandered into a topless bar. Between that time and 7:30 am they used his check card to relieve him of about $2600. He only drank one drink there. The rest were on private rooms with champagne and lap dances. Whoever rolled him knew what they were doing b/c they tried to take even more $ than he had in the bank before he left but charged him a lesser amount when they found out he'd be overdrawn. They emptied his account.
My son says he doesn't remember a thing and the last thing he remembers was ordering a drink at a bar down the street.
Any action against the topless joint? You're supposed to be 21 if you go into a topless bar in New Orleans unless they don't serve drinks (at which point you can be 18)
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
3/6/2012
Criminal Lawyer: LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer replied 6 years ago
LawHelpNow
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer

Hello and thanks for choosing Just Answer®:

I am a licensed attorney and will do my best to provide you an honest and accurate answer to your important legal question.

My goal is to make your experience here highly satisfactory. Toward that end, please keep a few details in mind during our interaction:

1. When you receive my answer, please kindly click the ACCEPT button. This is the case regardless of whether you are paying for just one question or are using any type of subscription plan or promotional offer. Doing so does not terminate our dialog. I will gladly continue our discussion, without additional charge, if needed. I receive no wages or salary for my time.

2. I am a lousy mind reader. If you do not supply information to me, I do not know it. Please, give me the needed details to work with so I can provide you with the best possible service. Also, if you use the RELIST or BLOCK features, our discussion ends and I may no longer be able to assist. Please, just write back to me, directly, and talk to me.

3. Also, while I make every effort to work in a timely fashion, answering legal questions is not an instantaneous process. I am required to conduct research, interact with multiple customers simultaneously and sometimes take a break. Also, there may be times when I have to sign off for the night or to attend to other obligations. Rest assured, however, I will get back to you.

4. If you have a new legal question, the terms of this site ask that you post it in a separate thread. In other words, please be fair and reasonable. You can direct any future questions to my attention. Just go to my Profile Page, type in the text box "ask Your Question", click the hyperlink that says "15 minutes", and use the drop down menu to select 12 hours.

5. Please remember that many times even attorneys disagree with the law. But, we cannot change it. The answer I give you is based on my years of legal education and professional practice. It may well not be what you were hoping to hear. I will be upfront and direct. I will not mislead you, misstate the law to suit your hopes, or agree just to meet your expectations.

6. If you answer an Information Request and I start working on formulating your answer, it does take some time to draft a quality response. In the meantime, you may receive a message indicating that I am "offline" or "unavailable". This is not the case. These messages are generated automatically without my knowledge or input.

7. Lastly, please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated. Information provided is informational and not legal advice. I am not your attorney. No attorney-client relationship exists between us. Consult legal counsel in your jurisdiction.

Many thanks for your patience in awaiting the formulation and posting of my answers!

QUESTION: "Does the EPA ruling 1054.120 exempt or cover propane / natural gas small engines ?"

ANSWER: 40 CFR 1054.120, in its final rule form, is employed under a graduated system. For this year (2012), an exemption applies concerning small-volume fuel tanks that are rotation-molded and used in equipment with Class II engines. You are very astute in your mention of small-volume, which is a key factor here. The legal definition is based on an upper limit of 10000 unit production of "identical tanks" (up from 5,000 in 2011).

QUESTION: "Any action against the topless joint?"

ANSWER: Yes. There are three courses of action: (1) criminal; (2) civil; and (3) administrative (regulatory). First, I am assuming your son has already filed a police report, but if that is not the case then obviously he should do so without delay: New Orleans Police Department. Secondly, file a small claims suit against the establishment seeking monetary damages: New Orleans Small Claims Court. Thirdly, file a formal complaint against its management in terms of professional discipline against their license: Louisiana Office of Alcohol and Tobacco Control.

I truly hope all works out for you. I know this is a lot to take in, so please do not hesitate to write back. After you select "Accept", our conversation need not end. I would be happy to continue our dialog, without further charge, until you are fully satisfied. I promise to check back periodically for any updated posts from you each time I return to this online venue.

Take care and thanks again for choosing JustAnswer®!

What theory would you use to sue for the money? Their testimony will be that they thought he was sober and, supposedly, he had to sign for each $745 room (there were three of them between 3 and 7am)...Our theory is that he fell asleep and we're waiting to see if he actually signed for anything but I don't want everything to depend on him falling asleep.
Let me know if you did not get my earlier response: I simply asked what theory we could recover $ if they can prove he actually signed for these expenses....They will say he did not appear that drunk and had only one drink at their bar and they made him sign for each thing they charged.....He remembers nothing and the fact that they would charge him for multiple things until his account was drained lead me to believe otherwise.

Hello again,

Thanks for writing back -- good to hear from you.

You are quite welcome-- my pleasure to be of service.

I will be glad to comment further -- please see below.

I have answered your question on the honor system, so I respectfully XXXXX XXXXX you click "Accept" Many thanks in advance!

QUESTION: "I simply asked what theory we could recover $ if they can prove he actually signed for these expenses...."

ANSWER: My apologies for not being more clear. If I were handling your son's case, I would work with theories including, inter alia: duress, illegality, intentional tort and Respondeat Superior. This is not necessarily an exhaustive list, as that determination could only be made by the lawyer litigating the cause of action.

What theory do I use to sue the strip club assuming the bank does not enforce our fraud claims. They will testify that he did not appear drunk and signed for each "service".....However, the way they kept taking out money until his account ran out (and even lowered his last charge when they found out it would overdraw his account)....My son cannot remember anything.

Hello again,

Will you please allow credit for the answers I have provided without payment? I receive no salary or wages for my time and services offered in this forum. Again, I do sincerely XXXXX XXXXX in advance.

QUESTION: "What theory do I use to sue the strip club assuming the bank does not enforce our fraud claims."

ANSWER: In all honestly, selecting a theory of the case at this initial juncture is a bit analogous to asking a surgeon for his approach to removing a tumor without having examined the patient. In other words, only the lawyer who has the benefit of a full review of the facts and the law can reasonably and safely make that determination. Speaking generally based on what you have described, my best guess (and it is just that) would be duress, illegality, intentional tort and Respondeat Superior.

LawHelpNow
LawHelpNow
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer