Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

HOW DIFFICULT IS IT TO GET A HARDSHIP LICIENSE WITH 3 DUI.

Customer Question
HAVE NOT DRIVEN IN 4...
HOW DIFFICULT IS IT TO GET A HARDSHIP LICIENSE WITH 3 DUI. HAVE NOT DRIVEN IN 4 YRS.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
3/6/2012
Criminal Lawyer: LawTalk, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
LawTalk, Lawyer
Good morning,

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma.

In Florida, a conviction of a third DUI within 10 years results in a 10 year revocation of your license. However, after 2 years, you may petition for a hardship license.

If your third conviction was within 5 years of the second one---there is an automatic 5 year revocation and you may not apply for a hardship during that 5 year period.

Under the FL regulations, you must jump through a few hoops to qualify for a hardship license. According to the state of Florida, the following are the requirements:

3rd DUI - You must serve 2 years of this revocation period before being eligible to apply for a hardship license in the Administrative Reviews Office (see listing "Under Suspension - Need Driver License for Work") where you live. You must complete DUI School, and treatment, if referred, and have a favorable recommendation from the Special Supervision Services Program to be eligible for a hardship license. If given approval to reinstate early for hardship, you must present this approval to the driver license office. You must remain in the Special Supervision Services Program for the duration of the revocation period to retain your hardship license.

At the time of reinstatement, whether for a hardship license or a full license, you must take the required examination, and pay an Administrative fee and revocation reinstatement fee and any license fee required. For a DUI conviction on or prior to October 1, 2007, you must provide proof of bodily injury liability insurance in the amount of 10,000 per person and $20,000 per occurrence and $10,000 property damage liability on the arrest date or proof of bodily injury liability coverage and a $15 reinstatement fee will be required. Any DUI conviction after October 1, 2007, must provide proof of bodily injury liability insurance in the amount of 100,000 per person, 300,000 per occurrence and 50,000 property damage liability on the arrest date or proof of liability coverage and a reinstatement fee of $150 up to $500, for subsequent violations will be required.

Here is a link to the entire page discussing this hardship license:

http://www.flhsmv.gov/ddl/dlfaqson2a.html#3

You may also be required to use an ignition interlock device on your vehicle.

I wish you the best in 2012.

Because I help people here, like you, for a living---this is not a hobby for me, and I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX abiding by the honor system as regards XXXXX XXXXX I wish you and your family the best in your respective futures.

Would you be so kind as to Accept my Answer so that I may be compensated for assisting you? Bonuses for greatly informative and helpful answers are very much appreciated. Thanks Again,

Doug

LawTalk, Lawyer
CAN YOU TELL ME, WERE THE ADMINISTRATIVE REVIEWS OFFICE IS.
Good morning,

Here is a link to the counties in FL. Click on your county for the office nearest you:

http://www.flhsmv.gov/offices/

Look for offices that handle limited license services.

Doug
LawTalk, Lawyer