Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I got a class B felony back in 1987-1988. would like to have…

I got a class B...
I got a class B felony back in 1987-1988. would like to have some fireares what are my choices
3/5/2012
I am afraid that in Alaska, unless you received a suspended imposition of sentence and the conviction was set aside upon completion of sentence, the only way to get these rights back is by filing an application for a pardon from the governor through the Alaska Parole Board. These pardons are very infrequently granted (only about 20% of the applications are granted) but you would apply through the Parole Board.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Dose it matter that I was convicted in Seattle Washington
Wash. Rev. Code. § 9.94A.030 provides
that “a conviction may be removed from a defendant's criminal history only if it is vacated pursuant to Wash Rev. Code § 9.94A.640 [Class B and C felonies], 9.95.240 [probationary sentences], or a similar out-of-state statute, or if the conviction has been vacated pursuant to a governor's pardon.” Vacation
unavailable for violent or sex offenses, including domestic violence.

To vacate a conviction in WA, you would apply to the court where you were convicted any time after 10 years from completion of your sentence for Class B felonies. Wash. Rev. Code § 9.94A.640. Once the court agrees to vacate your conviction, the guilty verdict will be withdrawn and a not guilty verdict will be entered which will restore your firearms rights.

Other than this process, you would need a pardon from the governor.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer