Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Hello, I was detained and questioned by TSA after alarming…

Customer Question
Hello, I was detained and questioned...
I was detained and questioned by TSA after alarming on a trace explosive detector during a manual screening at Ft. Lauderdale airport.
In detention, I was approached by 5 agents at various times and interrogated
with questions, such as:
How long have you been in Ft. Lauderdale
Where you on vacation?
Did you go to the beach?
Do you take medication?
Were you visiting your mother?
Do you play golf?
I was repeatedly asked if I was having a problem with the way i was being treated by TSA.
A tactic used to try and make me answer the questions, was that I needed to cooperate in order to be released.
I was finally released with no arrest or charges of wrong doing.
Questions:
Is the causing of such an alarm, a violation of any law or regulation?
Were they within their power to question me, as above?
Was I within my rights not to answer the questions, as above?
Can I find out if I am on any list that would complicate my passage through the airport in the future?
How can I protect myself against this treatment in the future?

Thank you for your time.
Burt
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
3/4/2012
Criminal Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 6 years ago
TSA has the right to question passengers, especially if they set off a security alarm. Passengers have a right to not answer the questions, but TSA also has a right then to refuse to allow them to pass through the screening. If an alarm was sounded for possible explosives, this is their probable cause for detention and questioning. They will not disclose to you or anyone who is on their security list, but chances are that if nothing was found and had you cooperated, you would not be on any list. There is no real way to protect yourself from TSA, the only thing you can do is either not fly or cooperate with them at the security checkpoints but legally they have a right to do this as part of the security screening process (which is why everyone is so upset with TSA right now, but as of yet no court has limited their powers).

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Dear PaulMJD,

Thank you for your response. I paid you for the answer.
I already knew the general answer you gave me, with regard to asking questions and answering them.
The question I was asking, that I didn't know the answer to, was do I need to answer questions such as:
if I play golf or was visiting my mom or was picking my feet in Poughkeepsie.
I believe setting off the alarm only gives them the right to ask questions impacting airport security concerns and committing felonies.
I am wondering how asking about playing golf or visiting my mom, is pertenent to airport security and not answering those questions would be a legitamate cause for stopping my passage on the flight.

Thank you in advance for entertaining this followup

Burt

Thank you. I wish I could tell you to tell them you do not have to answer their personal questions (I have been through their silly interrogation actually), but I am afraid I cannot. The questions about where you have been during your stay, even the personal ones are considered legitimate in the event they would have found something so they would have some information on where you traveled when in the state.

Thus, I am afraid and sorry to say that they could indeed delay you or refuse you passage through the security points for you not answering them. Of course, you do not have to answer them any more than "Yes" or "No" to the questions calling for a yes or no answer.